Sunday, January 27, 2008

Can I Do That?

Can I Do That?

This is a new section that we hope to keep up with in the future, and the point of it is to recognize those who are involved with something interesting. Whether that’s a job, or just something that you do, we want to know! Meghan Coglio, our first Can I Do That?, interviewee is a volunteer at a hospital.

1. How did you get involved with volunteering at the hospital?

I’ve got a few medical issues and I’ve been in and through the hospital a good number of times. The nurses were really wonderful and the closest thing at my age I could get to a nurse is a volunteer. And what got me all the way into was watching so many medical shows. I got hooked on them when I was about 10. My parents thought I was nuts, but I was a very mature 10 year old with a very strong stomach :)

2. You normally work in the ER, but you also help in the OR every now and then. What are the differences between the two?

The ER can be a very chaotic place. But in the same way it’s always under control. If that makes any sense. During the holidays especially. I’ve seen everything from a kid getting a popcorn kernel stuck in his ear to a guy in full cardiac arrest.
The OR is a similar atmosphere, but with less chaos. It’s much more predicable. There isn't that element of just what might be rushing into the door, and you are in the presence of very very very skilled people, there are some surgeons that have been there for 15+ years. Not to say the ER doctors aren’t skilled or anything, it’s just a different type of skill.

3. What and how many surgeries have you seen up close?

I have seen one abdominal surgery, and that was way awesome because the surgeon let me come up to the table, and he showed me the different parts and what he was doing. The other was a knee surgery.

4. Are you planning on doing something in the medical field as a career?

Oh definitely. I am going more towards nursing, but I’m also considering a surgical technician, which is someone to hands the surgeon the tools and does some other things. Ultimately I would like to be a PEDS nurse.

5. If not, what do you plan or hope to do in the future?

Well, if that doesn't work out, I would like to do some sort of journalism. Or maybe photography.

6. Why would you recommend for people to volunteer, either at the hospital or anywhere else in their community?

It is really an eye-opening experience. In the ER you see some rough stuff. It’s good experience for the future because you are in an environment with adults, you take orders, and you learn many things. It looks really good on a collage application. And last but not least, it’s least good karma :)

No comments: