Saturday, June 21, 2008

Interview: Book Club

Book Club

Book Club Myspace

Interview by: Lauren


Singer/Songwriter, Craig Almquist, gave us a look inside the band behind Book Club, even answering some book-related questions. So whether you like new music or love to read, how can you go wrong with a band named Book Club?!


1. How exactly did the band Book Club come about? Where did the name come from?

Well we had been compiling a bunch of names and that was the one that I thought was the simplest and easiest to remember. We also had like 7 members at the time so I liked the idea of the "club" and the unity that goes along with it. Now I feel like its a little to "cute" maybe, but its whatever, its a solid name I suppose. Ha.

2. You are currently recording an E.P. Will all the songs on your Myspace be included? When is the due date?

Well our producer is going to be Hungary for the summer so the EP will be a bit delayed but we are planning on having it done by fall. But it should be like 8-9 songs hopefully with the ones from our myspace (ourspace).

BUT, my friends and I are making a little EP our selves this summer in a basement using one microphone. The songs are gonna a lot more low key (like the song mixtape on ourspace) and it'll be like 6-7 songs, and will be most likely be called "Rough Giraffes".


3. Do you have any long-term plans for the band?

Currently, me and my band mates are in school and I think I speak on their behalf when I say, we would much rather be playing music full time rather then being students full time. Our plan is to make music a full time thing, we're just trying to get all our ducks in a row if you know what I mean.

But man, I don't want to be in a class room or cubicle ever.


4. If you could play a show with any musical act, alive or dead, who would it be?

Oh shoot, I mean like it would awesome to play with the beatles or beach boys obviously but in a realistic sense, I would like to play with Pavement. Someday when we're marginally famous it'll happen ha.

5. Along with the question above, if you could create music with any musical act, alive or dead, who would it be?

Well I mean again in a fantasy world, john lennon, paul mccartney, or brian wilson or even Paul Simon. All of those would be my dreams.

But in a real world theres this guy from California who goes under the name Why? and I think it would be incredible to make a song with him. He blows my mind when it comes to modern day song writing.




Book-Related Questions


1. Have you ever actually been in a book club?

Um, I went to one in High School, but that was just because I missed lunch and I heard they had snacks.

2. If you were, what book(s) would you want to read?

I would want to read In Cold Blood just because I saw the movie Capote and it seems like a real cool read. Really, I only seem to read non-fiction, its weird.

3. If you had to write and record the soundtrack to any book, what would it be and why?

I'd say 95% of the books I read are non fiction but I could see myself making a sound track for Perks of being a wallflower, strictly because me and the main character dig the same kind of music. I feel like maybe thats a stereotypical book to choose because everyone and their sister has read it, but really its about growing up and friendships and feeling young, which is something very cool.

4. If you could pick any fictional character(s) to join the band, who would you pick and why?

Phineas from A Separate Peace. He struck as someone who'd be creative and like good music.




**If you read this, please leave us a comment here! If you like what you heard, add the band's myspace and tell them we sent you! Spread the word about them and us!**
www.myspace.com/shootingstarsmagazine

No comments: