Friday, August 8, 2008

Frenemies by Alexa Young

Frenemies by Alexa Young
Review by: Lauren

Frenemies is a Middle-Grade novel that focues on best friends, Halley and Avalon, who have grown up side by side as soon as they were born. Throughout the years they planned to start their own fashion magazine and were always there for each other. Now that the pair have turned 13 years old and spent a whole summer apart, they're starting to realize that best friends forever is harder than it sounds. Starting school, the two best friends turn into each other's two worst enemies...after all, the person who knows you the best knows how to hurt you the most.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book, because I'm not the most fashion oriented person, as well as the fact that it was a novel aimed towards middle schoolers. After reading the book, however, I realized that it wasn't all that bad. It was a quick read, with some funny moments and lovely characters (Halley's new friend Sofee became a favorite of mine). The designer brands that were mentioned a lot were quite tedious after awhile, but I did enjoy hearing about the outfits people were wearing...again, it might get old for some, but I was amazed at the thought that the author had to give to figuring out what a certain person was wearing at a particular time.

The girls enter a column competition in the book, but when their fighting really begins, they decide to split the column and both offer their own fashion advice. I highly enjoyed these posts, whether because they made me laugh or shake my head in wonder at what girls will do to each other (and that was another thing I wanted to mention...girls are cruel in this book, but girls are often cruel and it was interesting seeing just how bad it can get). Along with these posts, they had random comments that were very reminiscent of our own blogs.

So, to conclude, this book is an interesting and fast read that will show the types of struggles girls go through in school, even dealing with feuds between friends. It's very focused on fashion, but it's not just about a group of shallow girls that don't care about anything.

I don't normally rate reviews through a points system or star rating, but if I was going too for this book...I'd probably say 3 out of 5.
I'm quite interested to see what's in store for the sequel though!


Alea said...

I recently decided I wanted to get my hands on this. It sounds like a fun book!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Alea: It is a fun book. It's definitely very focused on young girls, but it was a quick read and I enjoyed most of it.


Carol said...

Good review and I can't wait for the sequel! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Carol: Thanks!! And yeah, I'm very interested to see what happens next...