Thursday, September 25, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Well, that was Different!



Booking Through Thursday

What was the most unusual (for you) book you ever read? Either because the book itself was completely from out in left field somewhere, or was a genre you never read, or was the only book available on a long flight… whatever? What (not counting school textbooks, though literature read for classes counts) was furthest outside your usual comfort zone/familiar territory?

And, did you like it? Did it stretch your boundaries? Did you shut it with a shudder the instant you were done? Did it make you think? Have nightmares? Kick off a new obsession?


It was, I believe, the summer after my Sophomore year and I really wanted to read Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. I'd been hearing a lot about it because Panic! at the Disco wrote a song based on it (Time to Dance) and a friend of mine (from Panic's book club) was a HUGE Chuck fan already and she kind of helped talk me into reading it....I wanted too, like I said, but it sounded a bit graphic and I just wasn't sure...

I'm glad now that I did. It really was a great book, and highly different from other novels I'd read up to that point. After reading Invisible Monsters, I read a few more Chuck books such as Fight Club, Rant, and Survivor (with Survivor being my favorite thus far). I would say the only obsession it started was to read more books by Chuck and it can definitely be a rather gruesome, crazy novel at a lot of parts...but again, I did enjoy reading it and I'm glad I gave it a chance. It has a lot of brilliant quotes as well.

Here are a couple that I found by looking through the internet:

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I’ve ever known."

"When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?"







*Let it be noted, this is a mature adult novel and not suitable for everyone*

5 comments:

Smilingsal said...

Thanks for including the quotes; it made your post! Come visit to see my answer. Happy BTT!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Smilingsal: Thanks, I thought it would be a nice touch...I do love quotes!

-Lauren

"Confuzzled" Shannon said...

I have never read anything by him. I saw Fight Club the movie and imagined that some of the quotes they say in that especially the one where Brad pitt talks about comparing God to our Fathers. I don't know if it is in there but it is a brillant speech.

Yvonne said...

Sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Yvonne: No problem!

Shannon: I haven't seen the movie all the way through, but i've seen most of it. I think edward norton did an amazing job, as well as helena bonham carter and brad pitt.

lauren