Thursday, October 23, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Love in the Pages

Booking Through Thursday

“Name a favorite literary couple and tell me why they are a favorite. If you cannot choose just one, that is okay too. Name as many as you like–sometimes narrowing down a list can be extremely difficult and painful. Or maybe that’s just me.”


It's kind of funny that this is the prompt for this week because I was just talking about Romeo and Juliet and how they are the epitome of love in so many books, songs, movies, etc. and it's kind of crazy if you think about it! They were like....what? 14 years old? Yeah, it was the time period....but the two of them end up KILLING themselves in the end because they are so "in love" and their families are against each other. It's just kind of amusing to me that they are seen as the perfect couple in a way.

Anyway, my actual favorite literary couple? I honestly don't know! This is kind of a hard question. When it comes to YA fiction, I love Hermione and Ron from Harry Potter just because we all knew it was coming and it was like "FINALLY!" when it actually happened. Those two were just meant to be.

Let's see...what else? I love the book and movie for A Walk to Remember so I'd have to say Landon and Jamie were such a sweet couple. Jamie helps change Landon in a lot of ways and he gives a lot back to Jamie as well. They are just lovely.

So...what about you? Who are your favorite couples from books? And if you posted this on your own blog, let me know!

11 comments:

Alea said...

Ron and Hermione make me so happy!!!!!!! Can't wait for the next movie :D

Diana Dang said...

I actually just finished a review on the alternate version of Romeo and Juliet! It's about Rosaline and Benvolio! A really good read!

I don't have any. I remember loving this one novel called Fast Girls, Smart Boys. (Or vice versa) and I really loved the main characters to be together. I was squealing the whole time. I'm in the midst of reading an adult novel, Something Borrowed, but so far I am rooting the main character and her friend's fiancee. Yea, it's an affair. =)

That's all I can think of...

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Alea: I know, they really do! I was definitely excited when they finally got together.
I'm quite pumped for the next film. It's one of my favorite books. If only they didn't push it back...

Diana Dang: Oh, how cool! I'll have to check it out.

Sounds like some good books! It's often hard to think of really good character couples, I know...

An affair, you say? Well, I shall root with ya!

-Lauren

pepsivanilla said...

Landon and Jamie are definitely one of my favorites too :) I'd have to say Allie and Noah from The Notebook (especially the movie), because they are just so perfect for each other!

Beth F said...

I haven't read or seen A Walk to Remember -- I'll have to check it out.

Wanda said...

Everytime I hear "A Walk to Remember", I think "A Walk in the Clouds"(beautiful movie btw but I don't think it was a book so I guess Paul and Victoria don't count as a Lit couple). I haven't seen or read AWTR but I remember my daughters friend loved the movie.

Thanks for commenting on my BTT thread ...

Lots of couples in HP but Ron and Hermione were my favourite by far!! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

pepsivanilla: i've never read the notebook, but i did enjoy the movie and awww noah! He was wonderful!

beth f: Oh, definitely! I really did enjoy it.

Wanda: You're quite welcome. The movie for A Walk to Remember is really good if you get a shot to watch it, I would.
And Ron and Hermione...we all just knew they would be together. It's great! :)

-Lauren

.Books by TJ Baff said...

I think my favourite couple is another HP alumni.
Lupin and Tonks. I loved their star-crossed love and it was very tragic that only their baby was left behind at the end.
Tamara
ptbaff@cogeco.ca

aki_diwata said...

I see Romeo & Juliet as one of the possible consequences of young love. Not really what I would call admirable.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

tj braff: ah, very true! I loved tonks and lupin and i'm very glad that lupin finally realized he deserved to be happy with tonks...so sad about the ending though, i agree!


aki: Exactly! I wouldn't want a love like that, so I'm definitely not one that sees it as the perfect couple or anything.

-lauren

ellie_enchanted said...

I lurve Tonks and Lupin, and also Mel and Vidanric, from one of the best (but unfortunately not very well known) books ever, Crown Duel.