Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Guest Blog: Catherine Ryan Hyde on Pay it Forward

Pay It Forward Pictures, Images and Photos


Guest Blog by: Catherine Ryan Hyde
About: The differences between Pay it Forward the movie and Pay it Forward the book, which she wrote, in honor of It Started With a Book Week!


My thoughts on Pay It Forward the book and Pay It Forward the movie are simple: I thought the book was better. Some might point out that I'm hardly an objective bystander. But I'm prepared to make a case for books.

First of all, the movie was two hours long. The unabridged audio of the book was six hours. So right off the bat it helps to think of a movie as being about one-third of its source material. Sort of a Reader's Digest condensed book, but for non-readers.

Secondly, there's a tendency on the part of Hollywood to make decisions based on the bottom line rather than artistic integrity. I really don't say this to run the industry down. After all, they are a business. And job one in business is to recover your investment, if not turn a profit. That I get. But I think it gets thornier when it's somebody else's fifty million dollars on the line. The tendency to second-guess yourself must be crushing. So decision-making often gets a bit suspect.

Third, unless an author has a terribly intrusive editor, a book is one person's creative vision. A movie is almost the textbook definition of too many cooks in the kitchen.

That said, many people ask me what I would do if Hollywood wanted another of my books. That's easy. I would give (and have given) it to them. For all the problems of PIF the movie (over-wrought emotion, racial casting disasters, an ending that truly dropped the ball, etc.) I know I got lucky when it was adapted. It's because of the movie that I hit the bestseller list. And enjoyed more than twenty foreign rights sales. And sold more than a half-million more copies than I would have without it. There's a reason why subsequent book covers say, "By the bestselling author of Pay It Forward." Authors need name recognition and movies provide it.

So I try to take all the above points with a grain of salt.

Electric God, another of my books, has been optioned since 2000. It was optioned by a director who really loved the book and promised to handle it with care. So imagine my disappointment when I read the screenplay. It may change dramatically. In fact, he promised me some input. But it still reminds me that the problems with Pay It Forward are probably not the exception. They are probably the rule. We also just did up a deal on Chasing Windmills, and I know the writer who will adapt. And there's interest in Love in the Present Tense, and from a movie producer who agrees that a multi-racial Leonard is essential. Does that mean I'll be happy with the result of these adaptations? Who knows. Maybe not. I'll pretend I will be until I learn otherwise. The bottom line is that these are high-class problems for a writer, and I'm grateful for the chance to have them.

10 comments:

All Rileyed Up said...

I'm here for the first time from your comment on my giveaway (jealous of your Palahniuk book, btw) This was pretty cool to read the author's take on the movie version of her book.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

all rileyed up: Every couple years or so (I'm not sure the time in between) Chuck Palahniuk takes fan letters and writes back EVERYONE...he just sets a time for it. They did it last year or the year before and I never wrote, but I wish I did...next time, so you should defintely keep an eye out for that! :)

And welcome to the blog. thanks so much for commenting.

I'm glad you liked the blog. I thought it was cool to see her thoughts as well.

-Lauren

Liviania said...

I hated the movie's ending.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Livinia: Yeah, I wasn't too fond..I mean, I didn't hate it, but i was just all :( about it.

-Lauren

J. Kaye Oldner said...

"Chasing Windmills" will be discussed on an upcoming Noontime Book Chat! :) Looking forward to reading it.

Great post.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

J. Kaye: Glad you liked the guest blog. and that's so cool! I have that one, but haven't read it yet...hope the chat goes well.

-lauren

J. Kaye Oldner said...

You're welcome to co-host it with us. We have three so far. Four would make it even more fun.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

J. Kaye: I'd definitely love to help...what all would I need to do?

-Lauren

Oh, and feel free to email me:

Lauren51990 at aol dot com

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://opuqahat.virtue.nu/latosa.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ikelarafor.lookseekpages.com/yvukoni.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich