Monday, December 8, 2008

YKT: Starter for 10



If you saw my post about a week ago, you know that I wanted to start a new feature called “YKT” or simply “You Know Them.” These posts will deal with movies (for the most part) that feature an actor or actress (or even MORE than one) who you probably know from one thing or another…however, my posts will be dealing with movies that you might not have known this particular person was in, or simply have yet to see it. Make sense?

Well, my first movie is Starter for 10. I randomly decided to watch this British film a couple weeks back and LOVED it. I even made my sister check it out a couple days later because I really wanted to watch it again. It’s a very simple story, almost what you would find in an indie flick. The main story is about a boy named Brian who goes to university and tries to make it on the Challenge team. As the story goes on, the team trains to make it on the TV show “University Challenge” while Brian deals with his mom moving on since his father has passed away, trying to figure out his different relationships with Alice and Rebecca, and how to combine his old friends and life with his new one.

By now, if you haven’t already realized based on the picture above, you are wondering…who should I know in this movie? Well, the answer would be James McAvoy, who is mostly known for his role in Atonement. I have not seen this, but he does a great job in Starter for 10 as the geeky, but loveable Brian Jackson.

James is not the only person you may know in this movie however. I didn’t recognize this next person while watching the film, and I’m sure most people wouldn’t if they did not know beforehand. Our next addition for YKT is Dominic Cooper, who plays Brian’s friend, Spencer, from back home. Doesn’t ring a bell? Have you seen Mamma Mia? He just so happens to play Sophie’s love interest Sky.

Below, I included the trailer for Starter for 10 so you can check that out, as well as Dominic singing in Mamma Mia with Amanda Seyfried.



6 comments:

Hayden Thorne said...

I can never get enough of British humor. Thanks for the heads up on this! I'll check my indie video store for a DVD.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Hayden: No problem, I hope you find it! And I know what you mean...I'm always on the lookout for british comedies and films in general :)

-Lauren

Alea said...

Starter For Ten was a cute movie! :D

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Alea: I thought so as well. I'm hoping to read the book soon now.

-Lauren

Eli's Lids said...

What a fun idea for a post!
http://elislids.blogspot.com/

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Eli: Thanks so much! I'm glad you think so...more should be coming in the future!

-Lauren