Monday, January 19, 2009

Entertainment Weekly: Heath Ledger



Entertainment Weekly: January 23, 2009
Review by: Lauren
Photo: This photo appears on the cover (at least it does if you are a subscriber)


Now that I have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly, I thought it might be fun to kind of “review” the issues (one a week) so that those of you who would need to buy the magazines every week can see if it’s worth it to your or not. I also have a couple other subscriptions, so I might try and “review” those as well if people are interested or I find the time.

Anyway, this issue’s big article is about Heath Ledger, whose one year anniversary of his death is coming up this week. I didn’t know a ton about Heath before he died, but this article really shows the side of him that the public wouldn’t have known about. He wanted to do the work that he really loved and hated the idea of winning awards. The whole article is mostly told through the memories of those he worked with, from Catherine Hardwicke (director of Lords of Dogtown) to Gary Oldman (from The Dark Knight). It was a very illuminating story of a life that definitely ended too soon. I’d recommend this issue for the article alone if you are at all interested in Heath.

In the TV on DVD section, I found an article about the British TV series Skins. The title sounds vaguely familiar, but I didn’t know what the show was about until reading the review and looking it up. It reminds me a lot of the show Degrassi, with teens dealing with all sorts of problems, but much more realistic in ways because of what the UK will allow in their shows. It sounds great and apparently the first season is available now in the US, but I did hear it’s a bit different then the UK version, which is sad….I, however, still really want it because it sounds like an awesome show. Not to mention that Nicholas Hoult stars in it and I haven’t seen any of his work since About A Boy (he played Marcus).

There are also quite a few pages in the Winter TV Guide, showcasing new shows and old hits. Two of the shows I was excited to see mentioned, with brief quotes from actors and actresses, were United States of Tara and Trust Me. I wish I could view USOT, and am really excited to start watching Trust Me.

Now, for my final note, I bring you to one of the best sections in Entertainment Weekly…Books. The main review for this issue is for the novel Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. I know a lot of book bloggers have this and probably even have a review up somewhere, so I figured it was worth mentioning that you can see what a print publication has to say. I have this book as well, and I hope to be able to read it at some point in the near future. It really does sound interesting!! To find out what Benjamin Svetkey thought, as well as the grade Beat the Reaper was given, you’ll have to pick up an issue of this week’s Entertainment Weekly.

7 comments:

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Hard to believe it's been a year, isn't it? I can't see a photo of him but I think of his young daughter....so sad.

Lenore said...

I have a subscription too, but since I'm overseas, I always get my issues very late.

Alea said...

Hehe I have my issue at home open the page about Skins so I remember to add it to my netflix queue!

TinaFerraro said...

I enjoy reading EW, and appreciate this new feature! And I was a Heath Ledger fan, as well (his name appears twice in Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress) so this is one issue I need to pick up. Thanks!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Michele: I know, it's crazy that time has gone by so fast. And I do feel so awful for Matilda. I always hate when people die, but it's even worse if they leave behind a child.

Lenore: Oh, I would imagine. That is a bit of a bummer, but hopefully the reviews will get you pumped for the issue if you read it BEFORE it arrives.

Alea: I know, I really want to see it now! It sounds great.

Tina: Thanks, I'm really glad you like it. I love EW as well, since it mixes all kinds of entertainment.
Does it really? I didn't know that, but tha's awesome! From what I've seen him in, he really was a great actor.
Definitely pick up the issue and I'd love to know what you thought when you do. Welcome!!

-lauren

Jena said...

We were a week from the end of our (five-week) honeymoon when Heath died. We'd checked into a hotel room in Sutherlin, Oregon after (yet more) van issues, and I thought I was hearing things when I turned on the TV and heard "...Ledger has died," and then they went to commercial. I loved Heath Ledger, and I was so upset. My husband had no idea who he was, but I kept saying, "So many movies he would've been in yet..."

I'm still really sad about it, and especially for his friends and family. Losing someone so much sooner than expected is so hard.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Jena: Wow, that's awful the news came on your honeymoon. It's really weird when someone as big as Heath passes, because a lot of people honestly do start feeling like they know the person in some small way based on their movies and such.

I do feel awful for those close to him. You never want to hear about that kind of thing, no matter who the person is or how they are are.

-Lauren