Monday, January 19, 2009

Have a Happy New Year, Tina Ferraro!

Interview with: Tina Ferraro
Questions by: Lauren
The ABC's of Kissing Boys is OUT NOW!

In The ABC’s of Kissing Boys, your main character, Parker, plays soccer. Have you ever played? Why did you decide to make this Parker's sport of choice?

No, I have never played soccer. The sport was decided primarily by time of year--I needed a fall sport--and the fact that I had several players in my immediate world who would “keep me honest.”

How exactly did you come up with the actual ABC’s in the book? Do you have something for every letter?

Research! I bought a book about kissing, and scoured the internet for everything I could find. Then I played with the words until I could find ways to portray them in alphabetic form. There are 27 chapters, A through Z and then an epilogue title that my daughter suggested as a joke, but I knew immediately was prefect.

On your website, you have a quote by Mark Twain ("Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."), where after it you say that's why you write young adult. Do you have any other favorite quotes? If so, what are they?

Huh...I’m not sure I have other favorite quotes as much as sayings. “We’ll make that work,” is one of my big ones, which generally means, “Yeah, I have no idea how I’m going to pull that off, but I’ll worry about that later.” Which believe me, is pretty much how I felt about The ABC’s of Kissing Boys when I first proposed it to my editor!

As an author that frequently blogs, do you think it's a good promotional tool? Or is it simply a way of keeping in touch with fans?

Yes! Although I suspect I have more writer-friends and adults reading my blogs than fans. I do always keep my topics teen-friendly, though, and I’m thrilled when readers leave me comments.

In honor of The ABC’s of Kissing Boys, what was your first kiss like?

LOL! Well, like I say in the acknowledgements of the book, when it comes to qualifying a first kiss, I gotta ask if Spin the Bottle counts! If it does, it was quick and embarrassing. And if it doesn’t...well, ditto!

Finally, do your children read your books and if so, what do they think?

All three of my kids are proud of my accomplishments. My oldest just talked about me in his speech class, what it’s like to have an author for a mom. My daughter reads and critiques all my books, and helped me keep Kate in How to Hook a Hottie is so sensible and logical. My younger son really likes my books, and gave me a compliment on Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress that I liked so much that I put it on my website: “Pretty good for a book with a pink cover.”


Bookworm said...

Great interview--I've never read any of Tina's books but How to Hook a Hottie sounds great!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Bookworm: Thank you very much. It definitely does. I hope to read it soon.


TinaFerraro said...

Many thanks to you, Lauren, and Shooting Stars Magazine, for featuring me, and Happy New Year to all!

TinaFerraro said...

Excuse this self-promotion, but in response to Bookworm's comment, I want to add that HOW TO HOOK A HOTTIE was recognized by the American Bookseller's Association as a Spring, 2008 Top Teen Pick! (You may now return to your regular programming...)

Mitzy said...

I can't wait to read this book! I just read How to Hook a Hottie over winter break and loved it (wish it was longer!!) - great interview =)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Tina: You're very welcome. Thank YOU for answering my questions!!
Aw, that is sooo awesome!! Congratulations!

Mitzy: Thank you, and I'm excited to read this one as well. It sounds like a ton of fun.