Sunday, January 11, 2009

In My Mailbox

I finally decided that it was time to do The Story Siren's In Your Mailbox. You might have to wait a bit for these reviews, but like Chelsea from The Page Fipper said, this is a nice way to pre-promote some things. Since this is my first time doing this, some of these items came in the mail a week or two ago.

Sophomore Undercover by Ben Esch

For fifteen-year-old, adopted Vietnamese orphan Dixie Nguyen, high school is one long string of hard-to-swallow humiliations. He shares a locker with a nudist linebacker, his teachers are incompetent, and he's stuck doing fluff pieces for the school newspaper. But Dixie's luck takes a turn when he stumbles across one of the jocks using drugs in the locker room; not only does he finally have something newsworthy to write, but the chance to strike a blow against his tormentors at the school as well.

However, when his editor insists he drop the story and cover homecoming events instead, Dixie sets off on his own unconventional--and often misguided--investigation. He soon discovers that the scandal extends beyond the football team to something far bigger and more sinister than he ever thought possible. Once he follows the guidelines of his hero, Mel Nichols (journalism professor at Fresno State University and author of the textbook Elementary Journalism) this high school reporter just might save the world. That is, of course, if Dixie can stay out of juvenile hall, the hospital, and new age therapy long enough to piece it all together.

Part social satire, part teen-mystery parody, and wholly hilarious, Sophomore Undercover is a dazzling debut that will make headlines with teens everywhere.

I randomly was sent this one but I think it sounds great. I'm quite excited to check it out!


The Debs: Love, Lies, and Texas Dips by Susan McBride

The Debs are back!

Now that her dream of becoming a deb is finally coming true, Laura’s confidence is at an all-time high. But when she dares to mess with Jo Lynn’s football star boyfriend, Dillon, Laura finds herself at the center of some heinous gossip.

As predicted, becoming a deb is a shallow undertaking that Mac can barely muddle through. Still, things go from bad to worse when the new girl at school starts working her charms on Mac’s best friend, Alex. When Ginger’s grandmother asks her to sit for a formal portrait with the son of a local legend, she discovers that she already knows him—and what she knows isn’t good.

The stakes are raised for Jo Lynn when she finds Laura’s digits in Dillon’s cell phone. Is her boyfriend cheating on her with a debu-tank? She will soon find out.

I loved the first Debs book and Susan was kind enough to send me the sequel to review as well. I probably won't get to it right away, since it isn't released until June, but it sounds just as good as the first.

Bones of Faerie Pictures, Images and Photos

Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner

The war between humanity and Faerie devastated both sides. Or so 15-year-old Liza has been told. Nothing has been seen or heard from Faerie since, and Liza’s world bears the scars of its encounter with magic. Trees move with sinister intention, and the town Liza calls home is surrounded by a forest that threatens to harm all those who wander into it. Then Liza discovers she has the Faerie ability to see—into the past, into the future—and she has no choice but to flee her town. Liza’s quest will take her into Faerie and back again, and what she finds along the way may be the key to healing both worlds.

Janni Lee Simner’s first novel for young adults is a dark fairy-tale twist on apocalyptic fiction—as familiar as a nightmare, yet altogether unique.

For my January "party" of authors with releases this month, I talked to Janni and she was able to get a review copy of her novel sent for review. I hope to have this reviewed in time to post this January, but be on the lookout for an interview with Janni in the next week or well as some other author interviews, contests, and hopefully reviews!


Diana Dang said...

Have to say I am interested in Sophomore Undercover. I barely see Vietnamese characters in novels ever! The last time I did they played small parts or as second lead (which was back in elementary school). Yay for Viet pride!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Diana: I know what you mean...there are a lot of minorities that aren't really written about these days. I think the book in general sounds like a fun read and I'm pretty sure it's his debut, so that's awesome!


Shalonda said...

Sophomore Undercover sounds really cute.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Shalonda: I think so as well!

Oh, and for those that don't follow the other blog, I posted In My Mailbox for Bridge the Gap as well. :)


Bookworm said...

Yay for joining "In My Mailbox" it's so fun, isn't it? I've got the DEBS #2 and hope to start it some time in the next few months....but my TBR stack is like, a monster. LOL.

TruBlu93 said...

The Debs series looks really good.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Bookworm: Thanks, it is fun! I like reading other people's posts, so I figured I should try and join in.

I know how you feel. I'm trying to read more of the ARC's near when they are coming out, so I can post the review then...that way I can read some other stuff before that. Lots to read!!

Trublu: Oh, it is...the first one was at least.