Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday Thinker: Foreign Favorites

thinking pooh Pictures, Images and Photos

Today's Thursday Thinker is in hopes of finding new ideas for my blog, Bridge the Gap. Link on the side under the Promotion/Help picture. Bridge the Gap is for all things foreign, or non-American in my case.

So, I want to know...what foreign books, movies, tv shows, products, actors/actresses, music, etc. do you like? Any other ideas for things I could do for Bridge the Gap...also, don't forget to follow the blog in some way to catch new posts and I'd love it if you would comment on the things you DO read! Thanks, and starttttt posting!


Chelsea said...

Hmm. Well, I love The Beatles! They were foreign. England isn't AS foreign as other countries (because of similar language, etc), but still.

I can't think of what else! Agggh. But I love Bridge the Gap - I haven't been introduced to many foreign forms of entertainment, so I really like your blog idea, and what you've had posted so far!

Alyson Noel said...

I love Eddie Izzard, Ricky Gervais, Bono, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Slumdog Millionaire, Flight of the Conchords . . . that should be good for a start!

Alea said...

Audrey Tautou (actress) and Jean-Pierre Jeunet (director) from Amelie.

A few of my favorite Bollywood movies are Devdas, Salaam-e-ishq and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jaye.

Something about Sake might be cool, thought that's an alcoholic drink so maybe not....

Alea said...

Oh yeah, Flight of the Concords for sure! Great idea!

robin_titan said...

Here are some foreign things I like
snow patrol
glen hansard
marketa irglova

slumdog millionaire
the color of paradise (starts out kind of slow but it made me cry!! and it's just and amazing/sad story)
the grave of fireflies (gosh this movie is SAAAAD)
spirited away
howl's moving castle
kiki's delivery service
all of hayao miyasaki's work :)

peter pan--hehe I love this book
battle royale by Koushun Takami (it has blood and yeah, but it's a really great read)
pygmalion-it's a play by george bernard shaw you've probably heard of it but yup I love it :)
Howl's moving castle by diana wynne jones

that's all I can think of right now :)

Diana Dang said...

The first thing I would go for are Asian dramas/singers/actors. You could try reviewing a certain drama? Maybe even movie?

danie88 said...

how about landmarks? with pictures? (im sure you can find some on the internet somewhere lol)

I went to Germany in 2005 and there are so many amazing places to see that some people might not even know about over here.

you can also talk about the cultures... what holidays they celebrate differently... and other holidays they celebrate that we don't

i know in australia they don't celebrate the 4th of july (some don't even know what 4th of july is).

i dunno but there is some ideas... good luck :) looking forward to it!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Chelsea: I count England as foreign and the similar language thing is true, but it does help when first trying to branch out. And true, you DO love The Beatles. :)

Aw, thanks! I'm glad you like it. I figured a lot of people might not know about certain things and it would be cool to spread the word.

Alyson: Thanks so much for all the ideas!! I really want to see Slumdog Millionare, Flight of the Conchords are great (though I need to watch more) and Ricky Gervais is hilarious. I definitely will try and use these ideas in some way.

Alea: I've seen most of Amelie, but couldn't watch the end, so I want to see it all from the start again. I'd expect a review or something for that though in the near future!

I love your Bollywood idea. I'll have to look into some of those for sure.

Robin: What a list! Thanks so much for all the ideas, and I'll be sure to see what I can use in the future.

Diana: thanks, i'll look into it. anything you know of in particular?

Thanks so much everyone!! Keep the ideas coming if you have them and keep checking Bridge the Gap.


Shooting Stars Mag said...

Dani: Nice idea about the landmarks!!

I wrote an article for school last year about how other countries celebrate Halloween, so I think that's an awesome idea and hopefully I can do that sometime soon.

Thanks so much,


Alea said...

The ending of Amelie is the best!!!!! Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Alea: Ahh! I need to see it all pronto! I really did love what I saw.
I'll let you know when the review is up and we can discuss. :)


LisaMay said...

I used to enjoy watching the French crime show 'Spiral'.

I love actor Gael Garcia Bernal also :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

LisaMay: Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the ideas.


Lenore said...

If you need any input on Germany, you know where to come!

I like Franka Potente who was in Run Lola Run.

Alea said...

I'd love to hear German movie suggestions from Lenore. I really like Run Lola Run but besides that i'm not sure of any/many other ones! :P

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Lenore: Thanks for the idea and definitely feel free to let me know about German ideas. I'm always open!!

Alea: Well, we'll have to talk and see what else Lenore can recommend for Bridge the Gap! :)


Anonymous said...

[url=]mail order brides and spanish[/url] [url=]mail order brides romance asia[/url] [url=]russian and ukrainian women[/url] [url=]philippines virgin mail order bride[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=]russian girls for tv modeling[/url] [url=]mail order bride warehouse[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=]russian women hardcore[/url] [url=]mail order brides asian[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=]russian women marrige[/url] [url=]mailorder russian slut wives[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=]russian women running in high heels[/url] [url=]russian youg girls[/url]