Friday, February 13, 2009

The ABC's of Kissing Boys by Tina Ferraro

The ABC’s of Kissing Boys by Tina Ferraro
Review by: Lauren

Parker’s world is falling apart: she’s a Junior on JV soccer who was left behind by her friends for Varsity, said friends are refusing to speak too her and are resorting to public humiliation until Parker is no longer on JV, and to make it to varsity, she has come up with a plan that involves kissing lessons with the freshmen boy across the street whose father is in a feud with her dad.

The novel is a short, fun read about a girl who will go to desperate measures to get the life she loves back. I wasn’t a huge fan of Parker most of the time, as she was pretty selfish and only worried about achieving what she cared about. However, she did grow as a person throughout and began to make better decisions. Tristan, the freshmen, was very sweet and mature and along with Parker’s ex-BFF Becca, taught Parker a lot about life and love.

One of the exciting things about the book is that all the chapters begin with a letter of the alphabet and some type of tip on kissing. The last chapter’s title made me chuckle a bit and that could be because I’m easily amused, but still…it’s worth a look (and no, it’s not Z). My absolute favorite letter was G though, and instead of making you wonder, here you go:

Graduation: For many girls, great kissing is a diploma in itself; for many guys, it’s a prerequisite to a bigger course of study.


TinaFerraro said...

Hey, Lauren, glad you enjoyed it, and "G" was my favorite, too! ;) Yeah, Parker learned a lot during the course of this book, and interestingly, I did, too. Not just about creative writing, but keeping up backbone in the face of adversity. No matter how tough things got, I saw Parker kept her eyes on her goal, and her strength helped ME push through the harder scenes to write!

Thanks for reviewing my book!

Shalonda said...

I recently bought this and am so excited to read it. Glad you liked it!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Tina: It's just hilarious! I definitely remembered that one sticking out a lot. :) I think you definitely saw that and it was cool she changed throughout.
That's awesome! I'm so glad you were able to learn from the story too. It's a good message, and one everyone has to realize at some point.

Thank YOU for letting me!

Shalonda: Yay! I hope you enjoy it. Can't wait to see what you thought.


Em said...

I loved the chapter headings too! :)

Bookworm said...

I got this in my mailbox a few weeks ago, and have heard a lot of good feedback on it so I can't wait to start--it looks adorable! (:

robin_titan said...

I loved this book too, it was so cute! I also really liked the message behind it :)

the epic rat said...

Thanks for sharing the letter G! I checked this from the library and am looking forward to reading it! I've heard so many positive reviews! Thanks for the review!


Shooting Stars Mag said...

Em: I know! I love when book chapters begin with something.

Bookworm: Awesome. I really hope you enjoy it then.

Robin: Definitely a good message that everyone should know about. I'm happy you enjoyed it too.

Cecilia: Aw, thanks and no problem! I figured it would be fun to share ONE letter at least. I hope you like it!!


Lenore said...

Very creative chapter headings. I hope to get this book soon.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Lenore: I do agree! I love these type of headings.

Hope you do!