Friday, February 20, 2009

Review: Romantic Times (Mar. 09)

Romantic Times
March 2009 Issue
Out: Now
Review by: Lauren


First off, I should apologize for the lack of a picture, but I couldn't find a general one and all the photos I saw of the actual magazine were from past issues.

There was a basic interview with author Charles De Lint. I didn't know anything about the author, besides the titles of a couple of his novels, so this was definitely interesting to read. One of the books I really want to read by him is The Blue Girl. Anyone read it? What do you think?
Back to the interview...you learn about his hobbies, rockabilly music and his new novel, and his thoughts on urban fantasy.

In the Web Browser section, we learn about a site that shows characters in classic stories such as Pride and Prejudice and Hamlet using "facebook", though not really. Sounds hilarious!

One of my favorite things about this issue is the Re-Vamped article. Vampires have seemingly turned into their own genre with more and more books coming out about them. This article/interview shows a collection of some of the more known authors who write about the walking dead and how they are changing the myths.
There's even a mini-article at the end for those adults that are looking for new Vampire stories that are similar to the Twilight series.

The main items that make up Romantic Times are their book reviews, which is great! It's like reading a physical blog. For those of you that are all about the YA, don't think you aren't included in this magazine! They have their own mini section of the reviews titled Teen Scene. This issue has two articles/interviews with Laurie Halse Anderson on Wintergirls and Stacey Jay on You are so Undead to Me. Stacey Jay's was absolutely hilarious and I'm a big fan of the saying TSTL now (read the issue to find out what that means). You even get Megan's, the main character of Undead, top five fashion tips for chasing zombies.

Along with these articles, there are a small variety of YA book reviews (including the two I just mentioned above). I know that the review for Say the Word by Jeannine Garsee has me wanting to read the book NOW. Curious about what else is mentioned? Okay, I'll reveal one more title...Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott.



Books I NOW want to read (based on reviews in the magazine):

Feelers by Brian M. Wiprud
http://www.wiprud.com/

Say the Word by Jeannine Garsee
http://www.jeanninegarsee.com/

Books that I reviewed in this issue:

You're the One that I Haunt by Terri Garey
http://www.tgarey.com/

The Better to Hold You by Alisa Sheckley
http://www.alisakwitney.com/

4 comments:

Liviania said...

I love Charles de Lint. Definitely read The Blue Girl, then several of his Newport books.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Livinia: Thanks for the ideas! I really do need to read The Blue Girl soon. :)

-Lauren

bookworm4life said...

I second the comment on The Blue Girl. I(sadly) haven't read any of his other books but love, love, loved The Blue Girl. It was so much more than I expected. It's so hard to read books that have been out for awhile though with all the great new ones! (At least, I have that trouble).

Casey

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Casey: I know what you mean. Books are always being released, it's sometimes hard to find time to go back and read old ones. But thanks for your thoughts. I definitely need to read this one it seems.

-Lauren