Tuesday, April 7, 2009

(Review) Cold Hands, Warm Heart by Jill Wolfson


Cold Hands, Warm Heart
by Jill Wolfson

Review by: Lauren

Summary: Dani was born with her heart on the wrong side of her body. In her fifteen years of life, she’s had more doctor’s appointments, X-rays, and tests, and eaten more green hospital Jell-O than she cares to think about. Fourteen-year-old Amanda is a competitive gymnast, her body a small package of sleek muscles, in perfect health. The two girls don’t know each other, don’t go to the same school, don’t have any friends in common. But their lives are about to collide.



My Review: Amanda was an amazing gymast, but when a move goes wrong, her family is left with the tragedy of her young death. Not that far from her, lives a girl named Dani, who is back in the hospital again and can't leave until she finds a new heart or her old one gives out...leaving another family in sadness.



Amanda's family is given the opportunity to give up her organs and finally decide too, with her heart arriving in time to save Dani's life. Amanda's brother, Tyler, finds himself reaching out to the recipients, wanting to know how Amanda was able to help these girls and boys, men and women.


Cold Hands, Warm Heart deals with a lot of emotional topics, though it's far from depressing. I loved that Dani's point of view was in first person, while Tyler's was in third person. Wolfson even shows us side-views of other characters, including the man who delivers the transplant organs to the hospital. This was a very unique way to tell the story and made it that more enjoyable.

The book was at times predictable, yet still a bit surprising in some moments. It's a fast read with a great message. My mom had a kidney transplant a few years back, so I liked hearing about some of the things that I could understand, such as all the things you have to do and all the medicine you have to take after recieving a new organ.



4 comments:

Insert Book Title Here said...

It sounds really good! I might have to read this one.

Excellent review!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Insert: Thanks so much, and if you do, I hope you enjoy it.

Speed Reader said...

Interesting, I haven't heard of this book. My mom as well has had a kidney transplant and organ donation is an important issue for people to understand. I'll have to add this to my TBR list.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Speed Reader: I do agree, and thanks for sharing that about your mom! I hope you enjoy the book if you read it.

-Lauren