Monday, April 20, 2009

Ten Years Ago: Columbine High School

Always Remember Pictures, Images and Photos
Today marks the tenth anniversary of the Columbine shootings. I definitely believe that it is a day to remember, not only for the lives that were lost but because of what happened to lead up to this day.

I wanted to mention one of my favorite books in hopes that more people might check it out.

It's called No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine by Brooks Brown and Rob Merritt

Does anyone remember the story about one of the shooters, Eric Harris, telling a student before the shooting began to "get out of here"? Well, whether you do or not, that student was Brooks Brown (yep, one of the authors) and Brooks grew up with Dylan Klebold, the other shooter. Once they made it to high school, Dylan became close to Eric and Brooks' relationship was never really the same with either of the boys: Dylan was closer to Eric and Eric never really liked Brooks.

I think this book is a great read for anyone interested in the Columbine shootings as I was when I first read it (and I still am) because it's from the point of view of not only someone who was there, but someone who can tell you a little more about Eric and Dylan then anyone else might be able too. He doesn't know all the answers of course, hence the title, but it's a thought-provoking read and shines a light on some of things you might not have known about before.

As for books on Columbine, I'm actually hoping to be able to read the latest book out called simply Columbine by Dave Cullen.


I Heart Monster said...

It seems like it happened just yesterday. I was a senior in high school when it happened and I remember the fall out of it for high school kids. I remember the terror even though I was in Arizona.

I haven't read any books about, but thank you for the suggestion. If I do read one, it will probably be the one you described.

Thank you for this post. It's good to remember anniversaries like this.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I Heart Monster: I would imagine. I was only nine at the time, so I don't even remember when it actually happened. I definitely became interested as I got older though. It's such a crazy thing, school shootings.

If you do, I'd love to know what you think. It's a great book and I've been wanting to re-read it for awhile now, but haven't found the time as of yet.

I agree, and I'm glad you liked the post. :) Thanks for your comments!

Donna said...

OMG, attacked of the awards! Come get yours!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Wow, I was in eigth grade when the shootings took place, and I cannot believe it has already been 10 years.

For me it seemed like after Columbine bullying wasn't swept under the rug anymore which was a good thing, but sad that it took something like that to happen to make people more aware.

One book I remember reading and still have I think is called: She Said Yes and it was about one of the students named Cassie that was killed.

Kelsey said...

I did a post on school shootings last year on this day after I had read Nineteen Minutes.

I always cry when I hear about Columbine.

Bookworm said...

I was a very young kid then, but this makes me so sad. It could happen anywhere, to anyone. We need to stop bullying. It drives people to do terrible things. This is so sad. ):

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Bookworm: It's definitely a large part a lot of the time when it comes to school shooting. It's very sad, and you're could happen anywhere. People need to be aware of that.

Kelsey: I still need to read that. Columbine is awful to think about, but it should always be well as Virginia Tech and other school shootings.

Just Your Typical Book Blog: Yes, I have heard of that book and Cassie Bernall as well. I believe I was in the fourth grade actually. Ten years ago, I would have been nine, well, really wait, third grade maybe. It's definitely been a long time, but I'm glad that bullying and school safety became bigger priorites after the fact.