Tuesday, June 9, 2009

NRT: Lauren Baratz-Logsted Interview + Contest

New Release Tuesday: Don't forget, you can still enter to win a copy of Entraptment by Michael Spooner (just look in the left hand sidebar for the link)


crazy beautiful Pictures, Images and Photos


1. On your website, you have three blurbs from New York Times Bestselling Authors for Crazy Beautiful, which I will take to mean you will soon find yourself on the same list. But seriously, what would it be like for you to find out you did make it? Does this at all signify success to you?

I was simply amazed that Ellen Hopkins, Lisa McMann and Alyson Noel all had such nice things to say about my book. It's a bit of a pinch-myself moment: Can they really be talking about something I wrote??? Surely they've mistaken me for someone else! I can't say that it would signify success for me, making the list - that way madness lies, and I'd prefer to think that it's a success simply to have ideas for books that I see through to completion and that readers seem to enjoy. But would you hear me in the next county squeeing if I was ever lucky enough to make the list? Yes. Yes, you would.

2. Crazy Beautiful is a newer version of the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. What made you want to do a contemporary version of this story? If you could re-tell another fairy tale in modern times, what would you choose?

I've always felt that Beauty & the Beast is one of the most compelling of the Disney-fied fairy tales. Certainly it's the one that's been best translated to stage and screen. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that it's the only one where the male lead is more than a glorified Ken doll, there simply to make the girl look good. So one day I decided to do my own contemporary version, where the boy has done something beastly, resulting in him having hooks for hands, while the girl is, well, beautiful. As for the second part of your question, I have played around some with classic novels - The Great Gatsby; Little Women - but another fairy tale, who knows? Oh, great. Now you've got me thinking which fairy tale I'd like to tackle next. Plus I see my answers to these questions are loooong - sorry! I hope I don't bore your readers!

3. Do you make playlists for you novels? If so, what sort of songs would fit Crazy Beautiful (I haven't read it, but to me, I'd see some pretty and haunting songs...)

I do not make playlists, but once again, you've got me thinking. Ooh, I've got one! I love Rob Thomas's "Lonely No More," but here's the funny part. There's a line in the middle where I used to think he said, "Open up to me, and let me do your girlfriends." So there I'm thinking for months - years, even! - "You're going to win the girl back by doing her girlfriends???" Then of course I learned that it's "like you do your girlfriends." Finally, it made sense!



4. Speaking of blurbs, one of the things that Lisa McMann (Wake, Fade) says about CB is that "Lauren Baratz-Logsted doesn't write icky, gooey love. She writes stark, broken, gorgeous love." Did you set out to write about real love instead of the fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast version?

I set out to write a contemporary version in he-said/she-said fashion with twin narrators. That said, I do think the book has a certain otherwordly tone to it more commonly found in - oh, I don't know, maybe some romantic/vampire stories? Or maybe you could read it and then tell me? I also think Beauty & the Beast has been successfully adapted in so many forms because it is more than the usual fairy tale. I think we often recognize ourselves in the Beast: doing things that lead to our own tragedies and then hopefully finding ways to redeem ourselves.

5. You're an author, as well as your husband, and now your own daughter helps with the new Sisters 8 series. What's it like to have a family full of writers? How does the rest of the family or your friends react to the idea?

It's insane and we have a good time. I work on my computer down in what I call my basement cave. Greg works two floors up in our bedroom. We IM each other and daughter Jackie alternately hits each of us up to use our computers. People - family, friends, strangers - seem to like the idea of what we do. I've even had adults whose relationships with their kids are bad say they've started trying to do what we do - have a writing project together - as a way to get closer, and that they've met with success. By the way, I'd be remiss here if I didn't point out that my husband Greg Logsted is the author of the amazing YA novel Something Happened and the forthcoming Alibi Junior High (Jun 23).

6. You write for adults, teens, and kids. What's the difference? Do you prefer one audience over another in certain circumstances?

I love writing for all audiences and I'm grateful that I've managed to build my career to the point that I can do that; each has its own challenges and rewards. You'd think the younger the audience, the easier the book is to write, because they're shorter, right? But the younger the audience, the shorter the attention span and the more competitive for their time new technology is, so every word has to count in a way it doesn't necessarily with adults. You also have to, or at least I feel I have to have a sense of responsibility toward the audience in that you sure don't want to send the wrong messages. As for which I prefer, how can I not love writing The Sisters 8 books? I get to work on them with my nine-year-old kid! But I have to say, writing YA is just so wonderful. The area is just wide open these days and it seems that the styles and themes an author can explore are endless.

7. I absolutely love the cover for Crazy Beautiful. Is there any significance to the smoke that comes down from Lucius' jacket?

I never thought of it until you just mentioned it. At first I was going to say no, but then I realized: Why, yes; yes, there is. But of course I can't tell you what.

8. And finally, names are always interesting to me. How did you come up with the main characters' names in CB? Did you mean for them to give off a certain vibe or meaning?

Although the novel is contemporary, I did want the names to have a slightly unusual, fairy tale tone. Aurora is Sleeping Beauty's real name and Belle is of course Beauty, so that's where I got Aurora Belle. As for Lucius Wolfe's name, well, it's like he's so dangerous and hungry and intense in his own way, he's like a double helping of wolf.


Contest-

Enter: Leave a comment about the interview with Lauren

Open to: International (thanks for Lauren, isn't she awesome?? And no, not me Lauren...the author Lauren!!)

Ends: June 29th

Prize: A signed copy of Angel's Choice (I know, you'd need New Release...Crazy Beautiful...but Lauren doesn't have available copies so I decided Angel's Choice would be a similar, nice substitute)

EXTRA ENTRY-

+1 if you are a follower or become one. Let me know in a NEW comment.

106 comments:

~The Book Pixie said...

haha. I have Rob Thomas' song Lonely No More on my I-pod. Awesome interview.

Briana
thebookpixie(at)yahoo(dot)com

~The Book Pixie said...

+1 I'm already a follower

Briana
thebookpixie(at)yahoo(dot)com

Liyana said...

I didn't know it's sort of a remake of Beauty and The Beast! Now I definitely need to read this!

loony_balooga_91@Hotmail.com

Liyana said...

I'm a loyal follower. *bows*

loony_balooga_91@Hotmail.com

Aimee said...

Thanks for the great interview and contest!

Jenna said...

Haha... I think both Lauren's sound awesome. Great interview! Her new novel looks amazing, and it's definitely something I'm gonna pick up as soon as it comes out.

I'm a follower.

Jenna

jennapomme@yahoo.com

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Love Rob Thomas, and awesome interview! You always come up with some great questions.

+1 already a follower

Amber
sammyjones57(at)hotmail(dot)com

Brooke Reviews said...

What a talented family! :)

Please enter me. bacarleton(At)gmail(dot)com

Brooke Reviews said...

+1 I'm already a follower :)

scottsgal said...

Aurora Belle - love the name and premise behind it

msboatgal at aol.com

scottsgal said...

already a follower

msboatgal at aol.com

deltay said...

Ooh, the smoke is important in terms of literary significance? Okay, now I'm intrigued! That's so cool, a whole family of writers. Great questions & answers on the interview.

lucidconspiracy @ gmail dot com

deltay said...

+1 Already a follower =)

Readingjunky said...

Great interview. Looking forward to CRAZY BEAUTIFUL.

Diana Dang said...

Ever since I saw Crazy Beautiful around, I wanted to read it!

Diana Dang said...

Follower through blogroll!

Angiegirl said...

I am so excited about this novel. I love Beauty and the Beast retellings and CB sounds very intriguing. Thanks for the lovely interview. You didn't bore at all. It must have been awesome to see what a lovely cover you got.

Angiegirl said...

I'm a follower now!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Angiegirl: Thanks for following and I'm so happy you liked the interview. I can't wait for CB either. It looks amazing.

Diana: Me too, right? It just grabs you. I really hope it does well for Lauren's sake. She's so lovely.

ReadingJunky: Yep, me too! And thank you. :)

Deltay: Thanks, I try and come up with some unique questions. I don't want to bore people after all. LOL

Amber: Do I? Thanks, I'm so glad you like the interviews. And I love Rob Thomas too, esp. this song.

Jenna: haha well, thanks. I'm glad you liked the interview and I'm getting the book ASAP as well. It just sounds fantastic.

Aime: You are quite welcome.

Liyana: Why thank you for being a loyal follower, I do appreciate it. And yes, it is! I know, it makes it even more interesting!

Briana: How awesome, and thank you!


-Lauren

lanna-lovely said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lanna-lovely said...

Oh and I'm already a follower. =]

Shooting Stars Mag said...

lanna: I know, I do like the idea behind the Beauty and the Beast story so I'm happy for a modern remake if you will.

Aw, how exciting! I'm glad you liked the interview. I loved Lauren's answers too.

purplg8r said...

I love the Beauty & The Beast fairy tale and would love to be able to read this version!

purplg8r@aol.com

valerie2350 said...

she sounds like a fun person to hang out with!

valerie2350 said...

follower

E. Van Lowe said...

I've been developing an interesting reading Crazy Beautiful, but this interview just put it over the top for me. I MUST HAVE THAT BOOK!

bridget3420 said...

I think it's really cool that author's are making playlists for their books.

bridget3420 said...

I'm a follower

ossmcalc said...

Great interview. I love Beauty and the Beast. This will be a definite read for me.

Thank you,

Christine
womackcm@sbcglobal.net

ossmcalc said...

I follow.

Thank you,

Christine
womackcm@sbcglobal.net

violetcrush said...

I love fairy tale retellings and I am totally with the author on it being the most compelling one. I think it's an awesome love story.

Please enter me.

violetcrush said...

I already follow you through google reader.

BookChic said...

No need to enter me. I already have a signed Angel's Choice, lol.

Anyway, great interview! I loved Lauren's answers (and your questions!). Also, Lauren (author), we could never get bored with your answers! Or, well, I guess I can only speak for myself, lol.

Am very excited for Crazy Beautiful even though I still have yet to read any Lauren book. *embarrassed*

Peggy said...

I would love to read! Sound great, I will be looking for this book
Thanks
Peggy
mnatternu@aol.com

Peggy said...

follower
matternu@aol.com

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Thanks for commenting everyone. I'm really glad you like the interview.

E: Well, thanks, I'm glad I can make you more excited. Lauren definitely made me anxious (even more so) for CB as well.

James: haha, I gotcha, I'm glad you liked the interview, and her answers are pretty interesting. :)

-Lauren

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

Lauren, thank you so much for doing the interview!

And everyone, thanks for your enthusiasm for the forthcoming Crazy Beautiful - I hope it doesn't disappoint!

tetewa said...

I'd like to be included! tWarner419@aol.com

Ladybug said...

I think it sounds really great having the entire family joining in on a mutual activity.

I also have to add that I love Rob Thomas(and Matchbox Twenty) so to read that Lauren would have chosen Lonely any more for her playlist was right up my alley. I laughed when I read the line "Open up to me, and let me do your girlfriends."

This might be the time to admit that I believed that Bryan Adams sang "I got my first real sexdream"(most probably know that he sings "six-string") in Summer of 69 LOL.

Thanks for the great interview and giveaway, to both Lauren and Lauren ;)

my email: ladybug[AT]bluezone[DOT]no

Ladybug said...

I'm already a follower :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Thanks for the e-mail gang! I've got this posted at Win a Book for you; there's no need to enter me.

Pam said...

Great interview. Love that she misunderstood the words to that song - amazing how much more sense songs make when you get the right words! I think it's cool that she writes for all audiences; to do that well would be difficult, I imagine.

melacan at hotmail odt com

Pam said...

new follower

melacan at hotmail dot com

MJ said...

A modern Beauty and the Beast...sounds like fun!!

mj.coward[at]gmail.com

Kate said...

Please enter me! I'm already a follower :)

katiepinn@googlemail.com

Belinda M said...

Great interview and it sounds like a really good book. Please include me in your giveaway

"Canadian Contests, Freebies, Coupons, Deals, Games and Fun:
CoolCanucks.ca"

Belinda M said...

I follow

"Canadian Contests, Freebies, Coupons, Deals, Games and Fun:
CoolCanucks.ca"

kim said...

I love that this is sort of a remake of Beauty and the Beast. I can't wait to read Crazy Beautiful but now this one has my interest too!
Please enter me.
bookbutterfly9@gmail.com

I'm a follower too! :)

Marie said...

This looks great, I would love to read it! And I think it's neat that their working arrangement has done so well for them -- I wish I could have that too :-)

marielay@gmail.com

Marie said...

I am a follower.

marielay@gmail.com

dissectingperfection said...

Oh man... I can't wait for this book to release here soon. I loooooved the Beauty and the Beast, and I'm into all sorts of retellings. Did you ever read Beastly by Alex Flinn? Classic stuff.

I especially love the description by Lisa McMann. "stark, broken, gorgeous love" is exactly my kind of story!

Great interview/questions!

mya(dot)rooney(at)gmail(dot)com

dissectingperfection said...

I'm already a subscriber!

mya(dot)rooney(at)gmail(dot)com

Alexa said...

Awesome interview. I can't wait until Crazy beautiful comes out, it looks so good.

lovinfitch(at)aol(dot)com

Alexa said...

I'm a follower.

lovinfitch(at)aol(dot)com

Ashley said...

Haha I love the song "Lonely No More"! :) Rob Thomas is awesome.

Please enter me, thanks!
booksobsession(at)gmail(dot)com

Ashley said...

+1 I am a follower.

Cindy said...

I'm alraedy a follower!cnhand84 at yahoo dot com

gaby317 said...

great interview! pls count me in


gaby317nyc AT gmail DOT com

Anonymous said...

Mary D
zenrei57 (at) hotmail (dot) com

I love classic retellings and this interview was a good one!!! Now I want to read her stuff :)

MandyK said...

Nice interview

Mandy,
bratdownstairs@yahoo.com

MandyK said...

I follow =)

Mandy,
bratdownstairs@yahoo.com

Max Brown said...

I never really thought about how Beauty and the Beast would translate as a modern story. It would work well, I think. The book sounds awesome. Thanks for the interview!

My email is max.e.brown.94@gmail.com

Thanks!
Max.

Max Brown said...

I'm a follower. :)

Max.

What a Girl Reads said...

Wow, it's so cool that the whole family are writers!
Great interview btw

sara
sosarora_11 @ hotmail.com

What a Girl Reads said...

...and I'm a follower :)

sara

Beth said...

Great interview and a great book I'm sure. Looking forward to reading it.
pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

Cindy said...

Great interview!I love the cover of the book too!!!

+1 I'm a follower!

cnhand84 at yahoo dot com

throuthehaze said...

great interview! count me in!
throuthehaze at gmail dot com

throuthehaze said...

follower
throuthehaze at gmail dot com

RagDollVampGirl said...

Great Interview!! I Love Them All!!
Please Enter Me For Angel's Choice..

KailaEscobales(at)aol(dot)com

xoxo
RagDollVampGirl

RagDollVampGirl said...

I Am A Follower...

KailaEscobales(at)aol(dot)com

xoxo
RagDollVampGirl

austenfan said...

Lauren sounds really cool! And it's great that she can write for different types (or ages) of readers.

issa(dot)mojica(at)gmail(dot)com

austenfan said...

I'm a follower!

issa(dot)mojica(at)gmail(dot)com

Blodeuedd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blodeuedd said...

Great interview, and the book sounds so cool,
And I do always appreciate some Rob Thomas

blodeuedd1 at gmail dot com

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I like how she came up with the names. That's always of interest to me!

nbmars AT yahoo DOT com

Liviania said...

Excellent interview! Getting to know the Prince as more than a last-minute rescuer is one of the reasons I love Beauty & the Beast too. It's a tale of how true love takes time and trust, not first sight.

Meg said...

awesome interview!!
I like this author!!!!
thanks!
meghanriegel@yahoo.com

Laina said...

Great interview!! I can't wait to read this one and I havent' heard that song in ages, but I love it, so thanks for that, too!! lol

Laina said...

Oh, and I'm already a follower. :)

Laina1312@gmail.com

Renee G said...

I find it fascinating that your whole family writes.
rsgrandinetti@yahoo(dot)com

*Samantha* said...

Great interview!
I love Rob Thomas too! lol

HarlequinTwilight@gmail.com

*Samantha* said...

I am already a follower too

HarlequinTwilight@gmail.com

celi.a said...

Great interview! I really liked the question (and response) about living as a family of writers. I can think of hundreds of times I've heard writing and the whole writing process as something completely solitary, but I'm glad there are people out there who are successful and yet have a more organic context or environment.

celialarsen(at)gmail(dot)com

Nesral said...

Interested in new reading material

larsen(dot)joey(at)gmail(dot)com

Book Spot said...

I hadn't heard much aboutthis book before and hearing what other author had to say about it and where the characters' names came from was really interesting :)

book.splotATgmailDOTcom

Book Spot said...

+1 for following, too

book.splotATgmailDOTcom

xdaisyx said...

I love that song!



dsym_06(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

xdaisyx said...

+1 I am a follower




dsym_06(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

chinesedolphin94 said...

Love the character names. and Rob Thomas' song.
Cant wait for this book!

chinesedolphin94@gmail.com

chinesedolphin94 said...

+1 im a follower

Stephanie said...

Crazy/Beautiful sounds wonderful. I've read some of Lauren's Chick lit books and have always enjoyed them.

Would love to be entered in the contest.

stoland at ameritech dot net

Leslie said...

I love Beauty and the Beast! I can't wait for the book and that song by Rob Thomas is awesome. :) Count me in please.

+ Following.

Thank you!

supleslie@gmail.com

Emma said...

Great interview.Please enter me for Angel's Choice.
Thank you.Have a good week.

bookaholic13 said...

Oo If it is like beauty and the beast then i deff want to read it
I am a follower

4Sage@optonline.net

Llehn said...

Insightful post. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to play for Angel's Choice.

lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

kaylasenpai said...

Great interview.
flayla14(at)yahoo(dot)com

Kristi said...

I loved Beauty and the Beast - and did not realize this book was "based" on that story. I would love to win it! I am also a follower.

kherbrand at comcat dot net

ProdElektra said...

I loved Beauty and the Beast..i think i watched the Disney movie at least 20 times...*blush*
So yeah. I'd love to read this book!
prodhi@live.com

ProdElektra said...

+1 i am a follower:)

Limerick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emily said...

a new look on beauty and the beast?
sounds great!
i loved the story as a kid.
and laurens interview has me hooked.
+1 follower



emily_eyeliner@yahoo.com

caseykelp said...

I didn't mistake the lyrics in that song but I think we all have done it more than we care to admit. Would love to read this book. Thank you for the giveaway.

celi.a said...

+1 I just became a follower (better late than never!).

celialarsen(at)gmail(dot)com

BN Book Blog said...

Crazy Beautiful sound so good! We'd love to be entered into the contest and can't wait for the release.

Beth & Nathan
bnbookblog@gmail.com

BN Book Blog said...

We're followers.

Beth & Nathan
bnbookblog@gmail.com