Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday: Psych Book!



Waiting on Wednesday-

Psych: Mind Over Magic by William Rabkin

Out: July 7, 2009 from Signet

Summary:

Shawn Spencer has convinced everyone he’s psychic.

Now, he’s either going to clean up— or be found out.

Murder and Magic are all in the mind...

When a case takes Shawn and Gus into an exclusive club for professional magicians, they’re treated to a private show by the hottest act on the Vegas Strip, “Martian Magician” P’tol P’kah. But when the wizard seemingly dissolves in a tank of water, he never rematerializes. And in his place there’s a corpse in a three piece suit and a bowler hat.

Eager to keep his golden boy untarnished, the magician’s manager hires Shawn and Gus to uncover the identity of the dead man and find out what happened to P’tol P’kah. But to do so, the pair will have to pose as a new mentalist act, and go undercover in a world populated by magicians, mystics, Martians—and one murderer…

I love the show Psych, which many of you know already, so I was really excited to read the first book: A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read. It was great and I'm pleased to show that the second one will be coming out this July. I can't wait! So has anyone read the first one yet? If not, you must!

psych Pictures, Images and Photos

I can't find the link to my review, but I DO have the review...which I'll post below...for Psych: Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read by William Rabkin so those of you who didn't see it before can check out what I thought!

A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read is a tie-in to the hit show. Starting out with the usual flashback to Shawn and Gus as children, it shows the message that will weave throughout the rest of the book. This time, it's the fact that Shawn is always taking advantage of Gus. Back in the present, the two friends have a very very short time to prove that their client Veronica Mason is in fact innocent of the murder she is being accused of.

Their time fighting for her leads to Gus' car being towed (which is all Shawn's fault of course) and bringing them to the scene of their next case, which would be just fine if only people weren't suspecting them of murder. Not only that, but Shawn and Gus have a new "partner" who believes that Shawn is sending her orders through their psychic link, an old classmate has shown up and for some reason wants Shawn's help with a hundred thousand dollars, and beyond all that, Shawn's father Henry is scrapbooking!

Psych: A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read is a great addition to the series for those fans that want a longer mystery with just as much humor as the show provides! After all, Rabkin has written for the show himself and takes precaution to make sure the characters and tales stay true to their TV counterparts. I found this to be a very intriguing story that had me guessing and laughing the entire time. I can't wait to read more about Shawn and Gus!

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I didn't even know there are Psych books out - my son would love these!

Beeb said...

I've never seen Psych, but I hear it's really funny!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Bermudaonion: Yep, this will be the second one...like I said, so you aren't too behind. I'm sure if he likes the show he'll love the books! They are great. :)

Beeb: It is really funny and I love the mystery every episode as well. I recommend checking it out.

-Lauren

E. Van Lowe said...

I didn't know there was a psych book either. I love the show. Those two guys are too funny. Can't wait for the new season. Until then, I will check out the books.

Brimful Curiosities said...

First I heard of this...must check them out.

Chris said...

Brimful: Well, I'm glad I could bring you the first news on these. They are definitely worth checking out. I'm so excited for the second one and the first was great, as my review said. :)

E. Van Lowe: Psych is one of my all-time favorites. Shawn and Gus are just brilliant and the new season is making me anxious. I want it now. But yes, check out the books for now. They are worth a shot and I'd LOVE to know what the rest of you all think.

-Lauren

Mishel said...

I HAVE NOT read the first book. Shame on me, I didn't even know there was a Psych book...and I'm totally in love with the show. I'm so glad I found out though, I'm definitely gonna be getting both the first and this one when it comes out!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Mishel: Well, I'm glad I could show you something new. I LOVE the show as well and I'm so stoked for this new book as well as the new season. I really hope you can get the first one soon. Enjoy!!