Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Review: Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

Alicia: I want to say something really quick: thanks for all the comments!!! I bet they are for the contest, but still. Oh, and I feel compelled to add that I’m 17….in case you are curious. But again, THANKS!!!! And a quick question: Was my review really that honest compared to other reviewers?


Title: Bad Girls Don’t Die
Author: Katie Alender
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Age Group: YA
Pages: 346
Review by: Alicia

Summary:

To the world, fifteen-year-old Alexis Warren is just a pink-haired troublemaker. She doesn’t have any real friends, and her parents are way too wrapped up in their own problems to bother with hers. Pretty much the only things Alexis can count on are the photographs she creates in her darkroom and her little sister Kasey.

One night, to help take Kasey’s mind off a vicious family argument, Alexis makes up a story — the first thing that comes to mind, really, just a harmless fairytale about a little girl with no friends. But Kasey seems to take the whole thing a little too seriously. Before long, she’s actually bringing parts of the story to life — and people are getting hurt.

Alexis knows she has to find a way to stop her sister before something terrible happens. But with no friends and no help from her parents, she’s basically on her own — until help turns up in the unlikeliest form — Alexis’ archnemesis Megan Wiley, who happens to be the captain of the cheerleading squad.


Review:

I need to start this review by saying that I loved this book! Seriously. It was AMAZING! Now that that’s out of the way, onto the real review.

amazing Pictures, Images and Photos

This book is really creepy, terrifying, and scary. I don’t like watching scary movies and I don’t like reading scary books, but for some reason I read this one. This book scared the shit out of me. I couldn’t read this book at night and when I was home alone, so it took me a few days to read. But, surprisingly enough, I loved it. I totally connected to the book, and even though I couldn’t read it at night, I wanted to.

For me, this book didn’t start off boring and slow—as soon as I started it, I was hooked. As with anything in the horror genre, there were points where I was screaming at Alexis not to do something. I got sooo into the book.

creepy dolls Pictures, Images and Photos

All the dolls in the book? Creepy. Ugh, I can’t stand seeing/hearing/reading about people who have huge porcelian doll collections—they freak me out. But even though I was creeped out, I didn’t mind all the dolls in Kasey’s room.

The relationship between Kasey and Alexis was very believable to me. Alexis acted the same way I would have if it had been my sister acting like Casey. The whole possession thing was totally believable too. And, I wasn’t really expecting Megan to become an important character or even helpful. I liked Megan, and the fact that she wasn’t what she seemed to be. Everytime I thought I figured out the story, it changed and I was wrong. Thank you Katie for not being predictable!

i love boys Pictures, Images and Photos

Two things that I totally loved? Alexis’ photography and Carter. I liked that Alexis was passionate about something that was actually useful to her in the book. Her photography definitely came in handy for her. And Carter. *sigh* He was sooo cool. I liked that he didn’t give up on Alexis and tried to help her. I’m also glad that he wasn’t some cookie-cutter-clean-boy. His past made him much more realistic. I wished that there had been more of him though.

And for once, I was actually satisfied with the ending. Sure, I wanted to know more, but I would have been alright if there wasn’t a sequel. Luckily though, Katie is writing two sequels. That’s right! TWO! Although they don’t come out for awhile, but still. I’m definitely buying them when they come out.

Cover comments: I really liked this cover. It went well with the book, and appropriatly looked creepy.

Overall: 5/5



*All photos in this review were placed here by Lauren. They were found on photobucket and we do not own them!*

15 comments:

NotNessie said...

ooo... sounds fantastic! This is sitting on my shelf and now I really can't wait to read it.

Beth said...

OOH! Those dolls FREAK ME OUT too!! I always think of that creepy X-Files episode that Stephen King wrote with the killer doll. Well, that and Chucky! :) Good to know I'm not alone in my dislike of dolls!

PopinFresh said...

Oh Wow, this book looks like an awesome read and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really want to read this book, it's been on my wish list for awhile now. ^.^

~ Popin

PopinFresh said...

I also left a link of this post on my sidebar. Thanks again!

~ Popin
proudbookworm[@]gmail[dot]com

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsea said...

Oops. Didn't realize this was Alicia's review, so ignore my comment, Lauren (you'll probably get it in your inbox?)

But, ALICIA! Great review! You and Lauren make a good team. This book looks totally great. But I freaking hate dolls and that picture is mega-creepy.

Amanda said...

I had no idea there was going to be a sequel! I read this a month or two ago, and enjoyed it, and Katie Alender actually came and commented on my review! It was really cool.

Ella Press said...

Really cool review!
I had a hard time trying to listen to The Summoning audiobook at night (the part about the ghosts) so I understand you when you say you didn't want to read this book being alone.
Can't wait to read this, sounds creepy but cool :o)

Thao said...

I really wish I have the guts to read this book. It sounds awesome! Thanks for the review :)

towerofbooks said...

Great review! I like the pictures, and I've heard good things about this books. I should really read it.

E. Van Lowe said...

Awesome review, Alicia. I LOVE creepy. And those dolls were creepy-scary. This just moved waay up my to read list. Thanks for the review.

sharonluvscats said...

Congrats! You won my Candor contest. please email me within 48 hours with your shipping info.

sharonluvscats(at)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

omg! LOOOOVE IT!!! i read it last year and i hope there is a sequal that is just as good:)

book review help said...

well your Po$t is good and i really like it :). . .awesome WORK . . .KEEP SHARING. .;)
book review help

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.