Sunday, October 11, 2009

(Review) Perfect Baby Handbook + Extra Entry!!

The Perfect Baby Handbook by Dale Hrabi

Review by: Lauren (I was sent this to review by Harper Collins)

Extra Entry-First off, I want to apologize for the lateness of the review but if you comment here in time for the contest (it ends tomorrow, so you have a day and a half just about) you will get an extra entry into the giveaway. More details under Contests in the left hand sidebar.

Summary (written by me)-

This book is full of hilarious advice for soon-to-be parents. The idea came about from real-life couples who are often brought in by crazy advice and techniques that you should just be ignored. We all know parents want their baby to be happy, healthy, and hopefully successfu in life...but it's not going to kill you to treat your child like a child while they are one. You can try and add things to their lives to enrich it and help them learn, but a lot of things shouldn't be as stressful as they are. Sit back and relax a little. Enter...The Perfect Baby Handbook!


This really should be required reading for all new parents along with "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and whatever other baby novels are out there. It will hopefully keep those stressed parents laughing and realizing when they are freaking out just a little too much. It's a new should be happy! You aren't supposed to be planning their whole lives and worrying about every little thing in their lives. It'll be okay. And just to say this now...there is no such thing as a perfect baby in my mind.

One of the sections I enjoyed was on picking out a baby name, since I love names of characters and always imagine what I'd name my own future children. They have some very interesting categories of names such as "Registered U.S. Yachts." A few really are nice. Who would have thought?!
A hilarious chapter is all about helping your baby's self-esteem so they don't get down on themselves and start writing bad poetry, for example. How hilarious is that? This is full of great tips on preventing this from co-pooping. Yeah, it's probably exactly what you are thinking. I can see the merits.......sarcasm people.

The whole section of discipline reminds me of a comedian I saw on TV once. I'm forgetting the name right now, but it was how parents nowadays always try and reason with their kids like an adult instead of just telling them what to do like they did in the past. It's quite a funny skit and the page in the book devoted to this is very similar. For example-

"Can you tell me why you did that, Amelie? Maybe next time, we can come up with ideasa together that will help us avoid such misunderstandings."

Near the end of the book, there is a section all about having the best party for your child's first birthday. It's an amusing take on what should be included, but it also makes me remember think of all those celebrity parties they hold for their children. Why spend so much money for something they will not or will most likely not remember? It's crazy to me! On the next page of The Perfect Baby Handbook, they even show this in another great way...little kid's thoughts back on their first birthday parties.

" much screeching..." -Matthew D. Frith, age 4

And finally, you'll want to take a look at the rhymes that were redone in this novel from the Itsy Bitsy Spider to Humpty Dumpty, which is now Bravo, Humpty, Bravo!


elnice said...

You always find great products for the whole family. I am looking for these and those soft blankets for an upcoming shower. Thanks again for the great gift ideas.

Stacey / Create a Balance for Moms said...

I'm happy I am not in need of this book because my babies are now 3 and 5 years old. I should see if anyone wrote "The Perfect Kindergarten Year Handbook". I'm in need of that one now.