Saturday, September 11, 2010

Author Interview with Losing Faith's Denise Jaden

Interview with Denise Jaden, author of Losing Faith (Out Now)

Questions by: Lauren

Amazon Associates: If you purchase the book from the link, the site gets a small percentage.

Follow the rest of the tour and win prizes:

1. If you could work with any other author (dead or alive) who would you pick and why?

Laurie Halse Anderson. While I don’t think I’d be much of an asset to her, I just love the way her brain works. I think she’s brilliant and I have the feeling that even being in the same room with her would open my mind to a whole new realm of possibilities.

2. If you could have written an already published book, what would it be and why?

I’m probably funny this way, but to be honest, I wouldn’t want to have written any books besides my own. My own books are very personal to me, and that’s what makes me love them the most. There are a vast number of extremely well-written, engaging, thought-provoking books out there, but none of them are…me. Besides that, I think a lot of future pressure comes with having a highly acclaimed book on the shelves, and while that’s fun to dream about, I’m not sure I’m actually ready for that.

3. If you could imagine the best possible scenario for Losing Faith or your writing career at large, what would happen?

I hope my book will be memorable and loved by at least a few people. It would be wonderful if it could reach an even larger audience through audiobook, foreign versions, and film. I found it more fun to “dream” when the whole process was far away. Now it can be scary—not wanting to get my hopes up, or unsure of the lasting effects and whether or not I’m ready for them.

4. If you could take a character from another book and add them to Losing Faith or a future work, who would you pick and what type of character would you make them?

I don’t know about book characters, but I’ve always thought it would be fun to add real-life celebrities into books. Unfortunately, you have to worry about legalities and how it reflects on them, so it doesn’t really work to say have Zac Efron show up and make a big scene at a high school football game or something. But it would be fun!

5. If you could simply wish on a shooting star, what would you most want?

I’d wish things for my son and for my family—long, happy lives; good, lasting relationships. As far as writing goes, I feel like I must have inadvertently wished upon a shooting star in my sleep, because I really could not ask for more. I’m very thankful for where I’m at and what I’ve achieved.

BTW: Don't forget to read the 9/11 Remembrance post below this one!


Minamostaza said...

Awww, lovely and honest answer at the end. Loved it. :)

Mmm, if I had the chance to write with someone I'll choose Richelle Mead, Kelly Creagh and YOU DENISE! Richelle because of how much fun her writing is. Kelly because of how dark and scary her writing can be *shudders*. And Denise because of the mystery and touching moments through the whole story. I'll just be sitting watching these three awesome writers writing and thinking: I'm the luckiest person in the world!! :D

I couldn't have written a book because my writing is not that awesome, but I love the short stories I write to entertain myself and other, they are my babies. :)

Thank you so much for interview Denise. It was fun! :)

Writer Tessa said...

I'd like to be in that scene with Zac Efron, Denise ;)

Great interview!!

Kristen said...

Great answers! I just love Denise now that I've been learning so much about her and her novel. Just about to dig into a Laurie Halse Anderson novel - Speak. :)

Renkellym said...

Aw, great interview! I especially loved the answers to numbers two and five. Denise sounds like a very down-to-earth woman. :)

Shari Green said...

Wow, interesting questions! Enjoyed reading this interview. I'm having fun learning about LOSING FAITH and about Denise with all these great launch posts! :)

Lexie said...

Ahh legalities, they always throw a wrench in things eh? Otherwise let me tell you my stories would be chock full of jpop stars making random appearances in NJ XD


donnas said...

Great interview. Thanks for sharing. Really looking forward to picking up your book.

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

But having Zac Efron show up would be so much fun! ;)