Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Book Review: Fade to Black

Fade to Black: A Book of Over 1500 Movie Obituaries by Paul Donnelley

Review by: Lauren

Copy From: Publisher sent for review, but all opinions are mine.

Amazon Associates: We get a small percentage to support the site if you buy the book through our link!

Review:

This is a fascinating book. The obituaries are essentially short biographies of various movie stars. It's much more interesting than it sounds though...you get a look at what they've done in their life personally and professionally, some actors have quotes included, and of course they let you know just how and when they passed away.

Obviously, this is quite a big book so there is no way I could have read through the entire thing. That's not really what it's there for though...it's a perfect item for any movie fan as it could go in their book collection or used as a coffee table book. I skimmed the book to find some various actors that I personally knew to read up a bit on them.

Some of those were Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz (I Love Lucy!), Heath Ledger and Farrah Fawcett (shows how updated this new version is), Richard Harris (the original Dumbledore...I actually didn't remember how he passed away but I know it was quite sad as I was a huge Harry Potter fan) and even Cary Grant who was intriguing to read about. I saw his film Bringing Up, Baby for the first time last year so I wanted to learn more about the man behind the screen. He really is a good person to read about as he's lived an interesting life.

Those are, of course, just some of the many, many people that were included in the book. The very first person listed is actually singer Aaliyah who died in a plane crash. I actually remember that, having heard her music growing up. I particularly enjoyed "Try Again" if you remember that one.

My mom has even flipped through this book, highly enjoying it. I wasn't sure what she would think...I thought I might donate the book to a family member after the review but I can't now! She really loves it and thinks it's a wonderful collection. I don't really want to give it away either...I just like to share the things I like with others I think might like it too.  (wow, lot of likes) They have to buy it though! I'm curious to keep reading up on some other people I've heard of but don't know much about.

Who would you want to look up in this book (you never know...they might be included!)?

1 comment:

Couture Carrie said...

Fab review!

xoxox,
CC