Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Review: Get Real and Stop Dieting...I Must Say I Agree

Get Real and Stop Dieting! Forget the Fads, Learn the Facts and Feel Fabulous by Brett Blumenthal

Review by: Lauren

Copy From: Amazon Encore

Amazon Associate: Buy the book from the link and we get a small percentage

Official Summary: If you are ready to make a life change for the sake of better health, look no further than this simple, no-frills guide to healthy eating. In the pages of Get Real and Stop Dieting!, fitness instructor and wellness expert Brett Blumenthal cuts through the chaos of fad diets and scientific mumbo jumbo to demystify healthy eating once and for all. After decades of experience in the health and wellness industries, Blumenthal has zeroed in on five simple “Get Real” principles, nutritional tools founded in cold, hard facts. The principles are accompanied by the “Get Real” toolkit to make implementing them easy and effective. Plus, Blumenthal provides forty pages of healthy, satisfying recipes—from whole-grain pancakes to rich chocolate clusters—to help readers launch their nutritional makeover. Healthy eating doesn’t have to be complicated. Now, thanks to this easy-to-implement diet and nutrition program, you too can be inspired, empowered, and motivated to live a healthier, happier life.

Review: It's the New Year and we all know what that means...the start of making healthy resolutions. I don't normally make serious resolutions, but it just so happens that I am currently trying to be healthier and get more in shape. This book came at the right time for that and it was interesting to go through and see what Blumenthal had to say on the topic.

I certainly agree with the assessment that diets aren't really need to make a lifestyle change. It's also something I see as gradual, so looking through this book can overwhelm you a bit if you forget that. You have to take things one step at a time and do what what you can.

They have a whole section on getting more fiber into your diet which was interesting for me since I already have to have more fiber than normal. It has to be a conscious effort, so I was curious to see just exactly what should be going into your diet.

My absolute favorite part of this book and something that anyone can get out of it are the recipes in the back. I definitely want to try some of these soon. It's always nice to have recipes on hand that you know are going to be good for you, because I'll be's hard trying to figure it all out and do the right thing. So these will be a good start! There are even some pictures for some of them (sorry, they are in black and white) but having something to look at makes me more interested! Right now I really want to try her Chic Cucumber Sandwich and the desserts all look good for the most part...from Date Truffles to Angel Food Layer Cake from Heaven (which made me smile when I saw the title because I call Angel Food cake, in general, a slice of heaven).


bermudaonion said...

You are so right - lifestyle change is the only thing that is going to help and it's best if you make them one at a time.

Cafe Fashionista said...

This really sounds like such a fantastic book to pick up to start 2011 off right! :)