Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Age Group: YA
My Copy: ARC
Source: Won via publisher’s twitter
Format: Hardcover, 367 pages
Release Date: 03/05/12--Today
--
Review by: Alicia
--

Summary:

It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…”

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before.

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her.

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…

Review:

I was sucked into Embrace from the first page. Violet’s voice is easy to get into and I enjoyed her narration. I started off loving Violet, but there were a few times where I didn’t because of some of her choices. Despite my not liking her actions, I was still rooting for her and hoping everything would work out.

I don’t like love triangles, so I was a bit hesitant to pick Embrace up because of it. Usually I always like one boy over the other, and Embrace was no exception to this. My biggest complaint is the love triangle. There are two very different boys: Lincoln and Phoenix. I loved Lincoln and hated Phoenix. Phoenix just gave off the creepiest vibes to me. I just could not understand Violet’s actions regarding Phoenix. There are a lot of reasons as to why I disliked him and didn’t trust him, but I’m trying to keep this review spoiler free, so I won’t go into details. I will say that I had a big problem with chapter 23—just where did that come from!? The end of the book totally redeemed all of the Phoenix problems for me though. As for Lincoln, I wish there had more of him in the book. I understand why there wasn’t, and look forward to learning more about him. He always had Violet’s best interests in mind, even if it didn’t seem like it to her, and I could tell that he did genuinely care for her.

One thing I really loved was all of the angel mythology. I really liked all of the different types and levels of angels. Everything was really fascinating and I’m looking forward to learning more about it.

Despite my issues few issues, I really enjoyed Embrace. Violet’s voice makes for a quick read that will leave readers awaiting the sequels.

Book two, Enticed, will be out in September 2012 with book three, Emblaze, to follow in March 2013.

Cover Comments: I love the purple. It’s pretty, but it looks awkward with the title over the girl’s butt. Love the title font though. I like the ARC cover better though, especially the back of it.

Overall: 4/5

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad the book's so good! I just love the cover.