Thursday, May 31, 2012

Movie Review: What to Expect When You're Expecting


What to Expect When You're Expecting

Movie Review by Lauren

All Opinions Our My Own
 
The movie is now available via Redbox if you wish to check it out for a cheaper price!

I wanted to see this movie when I first started seeing previews for it. I think the Dude's Group aspect of the movie really interested me because it was kind of amusing to see a bunch of guys sticking together through the trials and tribulations of being a parent.


Now, I'm not a parent myself, but I'm kind of baby obsessed anyway. A few of my friends have kids and I'm an aunt to a one-year old girl, so I'm definitely surrouned by the little ones. However, I started reading reviews of the movie and it kind of lessened my enthusiasm. It was still a movie I wanted to see, but did I want to pay 8 to 10 bucks to go see it?

At any rate, I hung with two girlfriends of mine this past Monday night (one friend had her birthday on Saturday and mine was Wednesday) and we decided that seeing a movie would be fun...except there really wasn't much out that I hadn't seen already, so we headed to see What To Expect When You're Expecting!

Overall, I enjoyed the film. It was cute at parts, funny at others...but it's not something I would tell people to run out and go see pronto, as it was slightly long and dragged in moments for me. Let's break it down a bit more for you though-

"You pee on a stick. It's pretty idiot proof."

Anna Kendrick (I'm going to use the actors' names and not the characters' names throughout this review!!) was one of my favorite people in the film. For one thing, I'm already a fan of her acting and it was fun to see her in something a little different. She was the youngest pregnant lady in the bunch as well, so perhaps I just related to her getting pregnant without planning it.

"If I knew I'd have a rack like this, I would've gotten knocked up years ago."

I should probably preface this by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Cameron Diaz, in general, so her character kind of annoyed me. She's a reality star host who helps people lose weight, a la, Biggest Loser. These shows are great for the people that get help, but I also think that the people who are helping them honestly seem like jerks sometimes...so I don't watch them. Cameron's character was kind of the same, and she was also a bit TOO independent in terms of the baby. She wanted everything done her way and didn't really care about the dad's opinions...even though he honestly cared and wanted to help.

"I can't wait to meet my baby."

I do actually like Jennifer Lopez as an actress. Her character was interesting because she couldn't get pregnant and was finally going to adopt. I love the idea of adopting, so it was cool to see that included in the film. I didn't really have a problem with Jennifer's character. She was definitely more of the emotional one, since her husband is having a hard time accepting the idea of being a dad and sometimes I was really confused on why the two of them were together. This movie is obviously a "chapter" in everyone's lives, though, so I guess you have to look past the bad moments they had and understand that they just needed to communicate more.

"I'm calling bullshit. Pregnancy sucks."
Elizabeth Banks was my other favorite character, after Anna Kendrick, as she was just so real. She runs a breast-feeding store, but this is her first baby...and it took her a long time to get pregnant. Her husband was actually one of my favorite guys in the whole film. He was just too adorable and really sweet to his wife. He also had a bigger role (for the males at least) in the film because his dad's new and very young wife (played by Brooklyn Decker) gets pregnant at the same time as him and his wife...and he doesn't really have a great relationship with his winning-obsessed dad. But for Elizabeth, her character is pretty hilarious and when she gives her speech about pregnancy later in the film it's one of the best moments!

"I just have all this extra energy. Plus I'm like crazy horny."
Brooklyn Decker does a good job in the film, but her character is one of those pregnant women that you really want to smack. She stays uber skinny, minus the baby belly, the whole time and she just seems completely void of all the not-so-fun side affects of being pregnant...plus, when she finally gives birth, it's shown as being really quick and simple. Obviously, the pregnancy is used for comedic purposes, but it's true that some women have really simple births. She does stand up to her husband about his son though at one point in the film and it makes you want to cheer for her, showing a more mature side to her young nature.

In the end, it was a cute film. It's something that worked as a great girls-night-out movie, but it's definitely not a "buy another ticket to see it again" type of thing. I did think it was a bit longer than it needed to be...but I guess following so many women, they wanted to fully showcase their pregnancies, and I think they did.

I liked that they showed all types of pregnancies-

adoption
unplanned pregancies
miscarriage
c-sections
twin births

Final Verdict: Not bad, but if you're not DYING to see it, I'd wait for it to come out in the cheaper theaters or on DVD.

And for those of us, like me, who aren't planning on having babies any time soon...grab a chocolate bar:



16 comments:

Mandy Wagner said...

Love the review! Did you see The Lucky One. Beside Zac Efron being one sexy piece of man meat, the movie wasn't nearly old as the book! Too many different story lines from the book!

Eileen said...

Hmm...a lot of my friends want to see this but I don't think I was going to see it anyway, at least, until it came to my library. I love that last little graphic, with the chocolate! :)

Thanks for commenting on my Gush and Gripe post! :)

Eileen @ ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I want to see this too, it looks fun but I don't have super high expectations. I really like Anna as an actor as well, she's quite funny and has great comedic timing! Great review!

Briana said...

I love Anna Hendrick! I was going to wait for this movie to come to Redbox anyway because I don't usually see movies in theaters unless it's like The Hunger Games or some epic movie like Avatar.

Sierra Abrams said...

Hey this actually sounds pretty adorable! I might give it a try! Thanks Lauren. :D

Sierra @ Yearning to Read

Mimi Valentine said...

I love Anna Kendrick too!! She's one of those actors that always makes you smile when she's on screen, and it makes me glad that someone else appreciates her awesome acting skills ;) After being a babysitter since seventh grade, I don't really plan on having kids when I'm older LOL but I still really want to see this movie -- it sounds so hilarious and sweet even despite those slower parts! Definitely a movie I'll probably watch with my girl friends! :)

Awesome movie review, Lauren! Bring on the chocolate! ;) *cheers* <3

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

"Now, I'm not a parent myself, but I'm kind of baby obsessed anyway."

LOL! That's me exactly, Lauren. I don't have babies yet, but I'd like some. I love the idea of adoption too, and it's something I've been considering for a while.

Love this review. It's a great break down. Anna Kendrick has really surprised me lately, she is an amazing talent. And I'm excited how her career is really taking off.

I don't think I'll rush out to see this one, I'm more excited about Snow White, but I'll look for it at Redbox. LOL

Happy Belated B-day! :)

Sam said...

Ooh I didn't realise Anna Kendrick was in this. I like her too! This sounds like an entertaining enough movie. I probably wouldn't pay to go see it but wouldn't mind borrowing it off a friend or something once it's on DVD. :)

elena said...

I didn't know Anna Kendrick was in this film! I really like her too. Also Elizabeth Banks is great! I didn't really have a desire to watch this film but it does seem entertaining and I like that it offers different perspectives. :D

Medeia Sharif said...

I really like the cast of this. I don't go to the movie theater that much anyway, but I'll catch this on cable or Amazon.

Erika said...

I think it's awesome that they showed different types of pregnancies - it makes the storyline relatable for everyone! :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Hmm...I can't say I am dying to see this. It looks funny but as you said unless you are dying to see it, wait until it comes to video...that is exactly what I was thinking! I enjoyed all your photos and captions, they made the post a lot of fun...now why am I craving chocolate?

Ajoop. S said...

I'll probably wait to watch this but I loved your review! Your descriptions of the characters were fun and the captions were hilarious!!! And the cast is definitely made of awesome! :D

Couture Carrie said...

Fab review!
Must see this one!

xoxox,
CC

LHughes said...

Great review! All the posters of the different 'moms-to-be' were hilarious, and I liked your analysis of each actress/character.

And the chocolate thing is HILARIOUS!

Your blog looks really fun!!! I love the mix of books, tv, and movies. I'm glad you stopped by my blog because otherwise I may not have discovered you :)

You've got a new follower! Woot!

Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I felt the same way. It's good. It's relateable. But you can wait for DVD. Great honest review.