Friday, June 29, 2012

Seeking a Brave Friend for Abraham Lincoln


Movie reviews by Lauren

There was a period of time where I didn't get to the movies much. I love films, though, and being a cinema studies minor means that I often have to watch a lot of older ones. However, since being on summer break, I've actually made it out to the theater a lot. So here are three mini reviews of the latest movies I've seen...

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

IMDB Summary: As an asteroid nears Earth, a man finds himself alone after his wife leaves in a panic. He decides to take a road trip to reunite with his high school sweetheart. Accompanying him is a neighbor who inadvertently puts a wrench in his plan.

Review: I saw this movie at midnight last Thursday with my sister and I really enjoyed it! Based on the previews, I thought it would be more of a comedy, but it's really not. Yes, there are humorous moments and I did appreciate those...and Keira Knightley's character, Penny, was a breath of fresh air amidst the imminent end of life. Steve Carrell's character, Dodge, made me think of his character in Crazy, Stupid, Love, when he's depressed at his wife leaving him, because his wife leaves him in this one too. But Penny and Dodge do grow and change and fall in and out of love throughout this film. It's a quiet sort of movie. Not a ton of action, but it makes you think and feel. My eyes were definitely tearing up at the end.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

IMDB Summary: Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, discovers vampires are planning to take over the United States. He makes it his mission to eliminate them.

Review: I saw this movie on Sunday with a friend and my sister. This movie was awesome. It's definitely a historical piece in many ways; the costumes, the setting, the time period. This could possibly throw some people off, but despite it being a historical movie in many ways, it's obviously filled with the ugly, horrifying vampires that terrorize the U.S. These vampires are not attractive. They want to leave the dark they live in, but that doesn't mean they care about people. They brutally kill and there is lots of blood (forewarning for those that hate blood).

Benjamin Walker was amazing as Abe Lincoln. I think he really pulled it off and he was a perfect blend of the Lincoln history we know and the secret side of him that Seth Grahame-Smith created (author and screenwriter). I also loved seeing Dominic Cooper as Henry Sturgess (Abe's hunter mentor) and Jimmi Simpson as Joshua Speed (Abe's boss, and then goes on to work for Abe in the White House). Cooper is known for playing Skye in the movie version of Mamma Mia!, while Simpson is someone I love from the few episodes of Psych he was on!


IMDB Summary: Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse.

Review: I went and saw this movie yesterday with my mom. It wasn't something that I was particularly interested in seeing, to be honest, but I am glad I went! Merida is definitely a feisty young lady. She may be brave, but that doesn't mean she doesn't need or ultimately accept the help of others. Her archery skills are spot-on and would put Katniss to shame. Princesses don't use weapons, according to her mom. And Merida seems to think she doesn't need her mom in her life. They both have many misconceptions about the other person, but obviously, they learn to see things in a new light when a spell Merida gets from a witch changes her mom into something she never wanted. This is definitely a mother/daughter type of film, so it was great that I got to go with my mom...who also enjoyed it, and we both agree that the music was wonderful!

I went into the film not knowing who voiced the characters, minus Merida, so it was fun to learn that I actually knew many of them-

The Witch is Julie Walters...or Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter films

Lord Dingwall is Robbie Coltrane...or Hagrid in the Harry Potter films

Lord Macintosh is Craig Ferguson...or the Late Late Show host

Elinor is Emma Thompson...or Professor Trelawny in the Harry Potter films

With all these HP actors, I should probably mention that Kelly MacDonald (Merida) was actually Helena Ravenclaw in the last Harry Potter film!


Sam said...

Oh it's interesting to see so many Harry Potter actors voicing in Brave. I've been wondering about that movie. I will have to see it soon! :)

Jasprit said...

Wow you've seen some awesome films lately Lauren, the last one I went to see was the Avengers which I loved! Brave sounds like a brilliant film, there's nothing more I love than curling up to a Disney movie and the fact that it has a all star Harry Potter cast makes it even more fun to watch! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these films :)

Marsha Lowell said...

Thanks for the review! I would’ve never thought to see Brave but, as a loyal Harry Potter fan, it has now jumped up to the top of my list! What originally got me intrigued about this post is the review on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I thought that movie was great! Between my family life and working at Dish, my schedule doesn’t allow me to escape to the movies that often so I’m happy it was a worthwhile experience. It has not received the best reviews so I’m glad to see someone that finally agrees with me! However, my only complaint would be that I got the misfortune of watching the movie with a bunch of jokesters; you know the type of people that have a stupid comment for everything. That’s why I usually just skip the theaters and watch movies from home through my Blockbuster@Home service that I get through my Dish account. They get a lot of recent titles amongst the selection of movies and TV shows so I’ll probably wait for Brave to hit DVD and go that route. Once it does, I’ll be sure to let you know what I thought!

Liviania said...

I took my cousins to see Brave today! I absolutely loved Elinor - she's got queenly power.

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh my wow, so many awesome movies!! I remember the first time I saw the trailing for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer, I was with my friend and we didn't stop laughing for forever -- the whole idea of it was just so bizarrely funny! x) But it actually sounds like a great movie, and I love seeing actors you know playing their new roles so great :) Plus, as a former com tech student, how could I not be drawn to the beautiful graphics of Brave?

Awesome movie reviews, Lauren! :) <3

Medeia Sharif said...

Thanks for your thoughts on these movies. I'd like to see all three, especially Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.

Have a great weekend.

Jennifer said...

Yay on liking Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter & Brave. Those two films look so interesting to me. I hope that I get to see them soon. Awesome post, Lauren ;)

Jennifer @ Dream Reads

Meg K. said...

WOW. Just seeing the amount of HP actors voicing the characters in BRAVE makes me want to watch it. I admit, at first I thought that it looked kind of lame, but I'm hearing great reviews about it! And ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER is a show I really want to watch, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) I really have to go watch more movies soon!

Great reviews!

Sarah (saz101) said...

Oh goodness, I am SO excited to see Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, but it's not out in Australia yet. AND BRAVE. I'll see it for the Harry Potter actors alone, but it also looks awesome :D

elena said...

I'm interested in watching SEEKING A FRIEND & BRAVE so I'm so glad you ended up enjoying them! I think I would tear up at the end of SEEKING A FRIEND too and I've heard good things about BRAVE. Yay for the music being wonderful!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I thought Seeking a Friend was just a comedy too! I'm now curious to see it.

I loved BRAVE! Merida could definitely give Katniss a run for her money.

Can't wait to see ALVH!

Sorcha said...

I haven't had a chance to see Brave yet but I was definitely glad that they used so many Scottish voice actors in it!

Ajoop. S said...

Wow, so many HP actors voicing in Brave! Makes me want to watch it :)

Rachel said...

I haven't seen very many movies lately because books are consuming my life! The last film I saw was Snow White and the Huntsman which to be honest was a bit of a disappointment to me. I really want to see Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter! I can see you really liked it, so I want to see it even more now! Maybe I can convince my husband to take me this weekend! Also want to see Seeking a Friend for the End of the World but afraid of how it's going to end. Hmm... Great reviews, Lauren! :)