Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Wonderful Art of Commenting

Every now and then, I like to make a post that encourages thoughts, opinions, and discussions. This is a well-beaten topic, I know, but I want to talk about it anyway!

The Art of Commenting

I've been blogging for almost five years now, and one of the best ways I find to keep up with other bloggers and what they are by commenting back. It's simple, it's proactive, and it's FUN. I know, I can take a bit of time. You have to visit blogs, read posts, and leave a thougthful post that's a bit more than "cool review" or "awesome post" but I like to do it.

I figure if someone can take the time to visit my blog and leave a thought, then I can go and do the same on their blog. Not every commenter has a blog, I am quite aware, but I do feel like most of us have some sort of blog these days.

For those that don't, I'm happy to talk to them via email if they have questions!

So basically...this is my Art of Commenting-

I tend to answer people back about my specific posts (if they leave a comment) by email or a note on one of their posts...but I don't just mention my blog on their blog. I do read the post and leave a thoughtful comment, and then I might quickly answer something they asked on one of my posts or reply back to that thought.

Why don't I comment them back here? Sometimes, I do...but I figure there are so many blogs, people might not check back to see the answer, or they just might forget. I know I do! And I'd hate for them to not get a reply.

Why do I comment back on their blog if they comment here? I just find it polite, it allows me to get to know blogs (I've found really awesome sites this way), and it starts bloggy friendships. And isn't that a huge part of blogging, anyway? Getting to know and talk to people with like interests?

So what about you? Do you comment back, and how do you do so?

If you're like me and try and comment back to EVERY person that comments on your blog (and I know sometimes we just can't...but for the most part...) then please leave your blog's URL in your comment here. I'm thinking of making a list on my blog of Blogs that Comment Back for those that want to find blogs that welcome comments and always try to return the favor.


kimba88 said...

Great post. I always visit the blogs who leave comments on my blog and comment back. I respond to comments on my blog via email..because i never get a chance to ck back to see if someone responded to a comment i made on their blog...and figure they don't either. I agree this creates great bloggy friendships.

Jenny said...

I wholeheartedly agree. That's why Im here on your blog, in fact. You commented on my blog, Alternate Readality, so here I am. ;) I love bloggy relationships, they're my favorite thing about blogging.

Rachel said...

You are so right about forgetting to check for a reply when you leave a comment. I usually do forget, so it's nice that you leave the reply on their blog. Great idea! :)

The Teen Book Guru said...

Great, great post!! I always, always comment back, but I don't really say things like 'thanks for stopping by my post', as I think that's a little bit conceited. So I don't really like it when people do that on my blog, but whatev! :P I most definitely comment back, so you can totally add my blog to the list. I LOVE all of your ideas Mag! <3

Hilda K said...

Awesome discussion post, Mag! I always try to leave a comment back on their blog. I love reading comments, especially long ones. If you wrote a loooong comment to me, I most certainly would reply on your blog with an essay LOL! It's very nice to hear what everyone think about my post. x)

Awesome idea for reply, Mag! <3

Aylee said...

I do leave replies to comments on my own blog, even though the vast majority of people won't ever return to that exact post to read my reply (not that I blame them! Like you said, it's hard to remember to do that). If anyone asks a specific question in their comment on my post, then I go that extra mile to get their answer to them: if they have email commenting turned on, then that's easiest, but if not I'll try to track them down via Twitter or something. And of course, I always do my best to return the favour on their blogs if they have taken the time to leave a meaningful comment. The trick is finding the time because it can get quite overwhelming! I do at least try to follow them back if I can't find the time to comment meaningfully on one of their posts. This is why I often don't find the time to reply to people who don't really leave any sort of meaningful comment, just "great wow picks" or "great haul this week". I also try to keep that in mind if ever I don't receive a comment back from someone else, not to take it too personally - people lead busy lives! It's hard to fit everything in.

Small Review said...

I used to be so much better with commenting back (both replying on my own blog and visiting/commenting on their posts), but lately life has been getting pretty hectic and I'm hard-pressed to comment back on everyone's blog. I do still try to reply to every comment on my own blog, but even that has been hard lately. I agree with you though, commenting creates great community and friendship.

Liviania said...

I've been trying to comment back. The problem is when I can think of nothing to say to their post. I don't want to leave lame, empty comments, but I end up doing it a lot anyway.

Kristin said...

Speaking of comments, thanks for leaving such a sweet on my blog, Kristin's kNook. :)
I wanted to reply via email, but your address came up as 'no-reply comment blogger'.
Just FYI!
I'll be sure to look you up on Pinterest!

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

I think this is a great post, because A LOT of people don't comment back and I've developed a sort of rule for myself that if a blogger doesn't comment-back, or comment at all three times then I'll stop visiting them. I feel like it's just polite to stop by and check out the blogs that are taking the time to visit you! I know I don't always have the most time or I forget to visit a few people throughout the week, but I always try! It's always a matter of time why I don't comment, but never because I simply don't feel like it or something like that.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for discussing this!!

Stephanie said...

Great post. :) I try to reciprocate comments, too. Re: commenting on reviews--it's tough to provide a thoughtful response to a book I haven't read, but I figure that even a quick note at least lets the blogger know that I'm reading and appreciating their hard work. After all, there's nothing worse than feeling like you're blogging and no one's reading!

Stephanie @ Read in a Single Sitting

Beverley said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day, I'm now following you!

This is such a wonderful discussion post! Since my break from blogging, I've decided to use the comment back policy just to show my appreciation for readers who leave thoughtful comments and yes, it's a great way to interact with each other! I don't reply on my blog either because I always forget to check back on blogs I leave comments on to see if the blogger has replied. If a blogger asked my a question, I will most likely leave a reply after my comment on one of their posts too :)

I used to do the whole 'great review' type comment but since 'reviewing' blogging, I've realised that I don't like comments like that on my own blog as they show no indication of whether the person actually read it. So now I try to leave more thoughtful comments and although it takes a long time to read through everyone's posts, it's definitely worth it :)

I would love it if you could add me to the list: as I hope to meet other bloggers who comment back :D

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Commenting is a bit tricky.

Like everyone, I love receiving comments on my blog. And in the past, I've received a couple of e-mails from bloggers asking me how I get "so many comments." My answer is always the same, I get out there and comment on other blogs. Now, do I comment just to get comments back? No, I do it because I love blogging and interacting with the book blogging community. I love knowing what's going on in the wonderful world of books. But yes, reading blog post and commenting is almost like a full time job and sometimes, I just don't have the time or energy to do it. This is mainly why I take the weekends off from blogging or from even getting on the computer, so I can refresh myself.

Even then, getting around to comment on a lot of blogs is difficult. My full time job keeps my pretty busy throughout the day and I'm also in school. Because I understand how busy life gets, I appreciate all my comments, even the "nice review" ones. The way I see it is, at least someone took the time to say something, and that is more than what they had to do at all. Yanno? And even if they say Nice Review or Great Post, and they leave a URL, I'll go check them out to see if they have a post I'm interested in reading. My curiosity always gets the better of me.

....Petty Witter said...

Firstly many thanks for visiting me over at Pen And Paper, I appreciate your taking the time.

Such an honest post, I must confess I like comments even if its just someone stopping by to say hello and always reply even if its not always as quickly as I'd like as to me that just seems like good manners.

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I usually just comment back via my Dashboard on Wordpress because I'm pretty sure that my comments get emailed directly to the commentor.

I make an effort to comment back if someone is super nice, such as telling me how much they like my theme. And especially if they ask a question.

I love comments and wish I got more than I do but I'm happy when they come in that's for sure!!

The Cozy Reader

Sarah (saz101) said...

"I find to keep up with other bloggers and what they are by commenting back."

THIS! It's the simplest, quickest, funnest way to build community and make friends... I mean, I can't always comment back... life gets in the way, we're all busy, but I do it because I LOVE meeting new people, and staying connected with the ones I already know :)

Kathi Silvia said...

Very nicely said! And I am here at your blog because you commented on my Graduation Candy Pail :) I do try to respond to all comments as well. It's nice to hear that people appreciate your efforts and/or they found your project or post helpful. Everyone likes to be acknowledged now and then. I will definitely be back to browse around some more!


Lin said...

I love commenting on blogs. It's a way to say 'I get what you mean & what you're going through', sometimes it's just good old fun too :)

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiners Book Blog) said...

I try to comment back, but sometimes it takes a while... like a month. I keep comments in my email though and do get around to them.
I would love a list of blogs who comment back if you make it.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog