Sunday, July 8, 2012

Intelligence on The Big Bang Theory

photo give for promo purposes

Penny and Leonard have a… complicated relationship. Even after going on a date, Penny ends up breaking things off with Leonard fearing she isn’t as smart as the physics genius. Have you ever felt intellectually inadequate? Has a date ever felt that way with you? Did you end up working it out?

One aspect of The Big Bang Theory that is interesting to watch is Penny and Leonard's relationship. They are very different people...and yet, I at least, want them to work it out for the long haul. To be honest, I've never dated anyone so I've never had to deal with the issue of a boyfriend seeming smarter than me (or even less smart than me).

As for feeling intellectually inadequate in general? I suppose we all have unless we're Sheldon Cooper and believe we're smarter than everyone! I think I'm relatively smart and because I read all the time, that helps with learning new things and becoming more aware of issues. However, I have known plenty of people (especially in class) that say things that make me go "Goodness! I would never have thought of that" or whatever and it is a bit discouraging sometimes. But, in the end, I'm doing alright and I think intelligence comes in various smarts, street starts, even common sense!


What do you think though? Any personal stories of feeling less-than-intelligent?

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First and Second Season on Blu-Ray Combo Pack

I have been hired by Warner Bros WBWord division to raise awareness for 'The Big Bang Theory.'


Aylee said...

You're right - intelligence does come in different forms. That's why it's not just so simple as calling someone smart or dumb. It's also why intelligence tests are pretty unreliable. As for The Big Bang Theory - I've never watched it myself as I tend to get majorly annoyed with laugh-track shows, but there's a very good chance that the science geek in me would actually really like it.

Alessandra @Out of the Blue said...

I'm in love with Leonard! He's so sweet :) I'm generally considered "the smart one", but I've felt less-than-intelligent with guys before. Maybe I should avoid the genius types, as they tend to have a very inflated ego...

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiners Book Blog) said...

I've heard so much about this show, but haven't tried it out yet.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Kristin said...

Since intelligence does come in different forms, you can believe a completely different kind of smart than your significant other. I can see how Penny, an average girl, would have trouble with a genius like Leonard. My husband is math/engineering smart. He can figure out problems and solve puzzles. I'm history/grammar kinda smart. I cannot solve spatial problems, but my ability to answer Jeopardy questions on command impresses the mathematical genius I live with! (He's also impressed with my vast knowledge of all things pop culture. It's a gift that you get from reading about celebrities, apparently.)

Natalie (Mindful Musings) said...

I love the Big Bang theory! I haven't actually watched all the episodes consecutively, but I have seen a LOT of random ones!

I think what's been said about intelligence coming in different forms is definitely a good point. I know what you mean about being in class though, and have somebody say something and you're just like....WHOA! Lol. I've also been told by other people though that I've been the maker of those kind of comments too, and I never would have thought that before! I think the way we measure intelligence is also very subjective. While some people might appreciate extensive knowledge in a certain area, it might seem completely useless to another person, you know?

elena said...

Hm, interesting! Intelligence really does come in different forms. Like I am more book smart but I am definitely not witty or street smart and admire those who are.

Melanie said...

You make a good point by saying intelligence comes in different forms. It can be intimidating to be around someone whose intelligence takes on a different form, though. I just have to remember that I have my own set of capabilities.

Sam said...

Completely agree with you! Intelligence is a broad term and definitely be defined in different ways. And there are different forms of intelligence for sure. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

i think this happened to all of us at one point or another. I once dated a person with a doctorate in my field (I'm well on my way, but not quite there yet) and I totally felt insecure because my field is the only thing I'm confident I'm good at and having someone even better so close all the time was incredibly hard.

Sarah (saz101) said...

Oh, I ADORE Penny and Leonard!!


In terms of feeling intellectually inadequate? Nooo... not really... but I'm that irritating person who pulls out Wikipedia to prove you wrong and fact check everything that might otherwise be used against me in an argument... which... err... yeah.

I *DO* have friends and family who... are very intelligent, but they don't make me feel inadequate... sometimes they just make me feel like THEY are condescending, if you know what I mean?

I've totally had moments of 'HUH! NO WAY, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!' but I kind of laugh them off, and like making fun of myself, so... yeah? And I LOVE learning new things... That's a VERY good point about there being different types of intelligence, but there's also a very big difference between intelligence and knowledge, you know?

LOVE this post! ♥