Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Where You Are Cover Reveal + The Author's Thoughts!


Where You Are by J.H. Trumble

According to Amazon, it comes out December 24, 2012

In honor of the fantastic cover you see above, I asked the author to share her personal thoughts. Leave your own in the comments. I, for one, am really excited to read this latest novel by the author of Don't Let Me Go which I LOVED. Check out my review!

-Lauren

Cover copy:

Robert Westfall's life is falling apart-everywhere but in math class.
That's the one place where problems always have a solution. But in the
world beyond high school, his father is terminally ill, his mother is
squabbling with his interfering aunts, his boyfriend is unsupportive,
and the career path that's been planned for him feels less appealing
by the day.

Robert's math teacher, Andrew McNelis, watches his best student
floundering, concerned but wary of crossing the line between
professional and personal. Gradually, Andrew becomes Robert's friend,
then his confidante. As the year progresses, their relationship-in
school and out of it-deepens and changes. And as hard as he tries to
resist, Andrew knows that he and Robert are edging into territory that
holds incalculable risks for both of them.

J.H. Trumble, author of the acclaimed Don't Let Me Go, explores a
controversial subject with extraordinary sensitivity and grace,
creating a deeply human and honest story of love, longing, and
unexpected connection.

J.H. Trumble's thoughts:

Do you remember how it was when you saw Robert Pattinson as Edward for the first time? Well, that's how I felt when I first saw the cover of Where You Are. While the photo is just as I described Andrew McNelis, I had a very specific face in mind when I wrote the character, and the face on the cover wasn't it. The cover model's a cutie to be sure, and I think he makes a great Andrew McNelis, but it may take some time before I see him as Andrew.

Covers are funny things for authors. You spend a year, maybe longer, with your story and your characters. You have an image, however fuzzy, of them in your head. And then suddenly your editor presents you with a cover. Generally speaking, authors have no say in the cover of their books. Kensington did ask me for my input (probably to make me feel like I had some control), then did what they wanted. By the time I saw each of the covers, it was a done deal.

Fortunately, I love the covers of both novels.

Even so, I did find them a bit jarring at first. With Don't Let Me Go, it was the jacket on the cover model. I love the jacket; I just never imagined Nate wearing such a jacket. Silly, but it took me a bit to get past that. With Where You Are, there was a face I had to contend with. That could have gone very badly. But it didn't, and I'm thrilled!

Both covers feel timeless to me and project just the right amount of ethos. I hope fans will like them just as much!

11 comments:

elena said...

The cover model has such intense eyes! I'm so glad he matches the description because it irks me when characters don't on the cover.

Liviania said...

I really like that cover! It's so nice when you can see the full face.

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiners Book Blog) said...

I like the cover, and the blurb sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for spotlighting.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Candace said...

This book sounds really good but from the cover I thought it was adult. The model just looks older. But its a great cover and maybe its just me that thinks he looks older.

Sam said...

Great cover! I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds like one to keep an eye on. Thanks for sharing the reveal. :)

Medeia Sharif said...

Both covers are great and this model is eye-catching. The description is also intriguing. I'm wondering about the risks for both.

....Petty Witter said...

Interesting post - who said we should never judge a book by its cover.

Giselle said...

Pretty eyes!! I like the cover! And it sounds really interesting, too!

L-Diggitty said...

That's so cool to hear the author's thoughts on the cover picture! I always thought the authors got some input into the design/selection.

And... the model on the cover is truly beautiful, but he looks a little old to be Andrew. Don't you think? Maybe all the troubles in his life have aged him to his mid-20s prematurely :)

J.H. Trumble said...

I'm a little late to the party, but thought I'd mention that Andrew (cover) is the teacher. He's 24.

So glad you all like the cover!

Vegan YA Nerds said...

It must be so hard for authors, I wish you guys had more input :)