Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Review: Zoo 3D by David E. Klutho

Time for Kids: Zoo 3D - An Incredible Animal Adventure by David E. Klutho
(includes 2 Pairs of 3D Glasses!)

Review by Lauren

copy sent for review, but all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Lions and tigers and bears-oh, wow! Take a walk on the wild side with 3D Zoo! Awesome Animal Kingdom. Brought to you by the editors of TIME For Kids magazine, this book of stunning 3D photos shows animals as you've never seen them outside of a zoo. From big cats to exotic birds, the creatures seem to leap, crawl, fly, slither, swim, and stampede off the pages and into your living room. The 3D photos are so eye-poppingly real, you'll reach out to touch the critters-and there's no zookeeper to stop you!

The book is packed with close to 100 large-scale, state-of-the art photos taken by master 3D photographer, David Klutho. No other animal book comes close to delivering the impact of his zoo-tacular images. Animal lovers young and old will thrill to this marvelous 3D menagerie and the surprising and little-known facts and information about each creature! There are 2 pairs of glasses included in each book so you can invite a friend to come along on your zoofari adventure!

Review: This book is awesome! My one complaint...there is a giant 3D picture of a spider included and I have such a fear of spiders...doesn't matter if it's only a picture. So *shudder*...that was the worst of it! Besides that, this book really is pretty cool.

My fear is that the 3D glasses will eventually get ruined or ripped in half, and that would be a bummer, so it's not a book for younger children. I do like the pockets in the front of the book. There is one for each pair of glasses- and what a great idea to include two so you can read with a friend or family member.

I held my Halloween party in mid-October and this book was lying around so two of my friends (both in their early twenties) were looking through the pages, as giddy as little kids. One friend exclaimed, "Even the 3D is in 3D!" I just had to share that. So yes, it might be Time for Kids, but you can't forget those big kids either!

The book includes a large variety of animals, giving a short paragraph of information about their species. You get bears, frogs, tigers, owls, and more. I really enjoyed the random Did You Know paragraphs scattered throughout the book. These included fun facts about some of the animals. One of my personal favorites was about gorillas. Did You Know that "when a gorilla seems to yawn, it's nervous, not tired." Fascinating, huh?! I love learning little tidbits like this!

As for the 3D...because I'm sure you're wondering (and that IS the main selling point, right?)...I can personally say it's fantastic. Seriously, I would stop on certain pages and just stare. The animals really do seem to be sticking out of the page and having the background with that adds so much. There is one picture of an animal in water and the waterdroplets falling looked so real. The book even ends with about four fun and different photos that they explain how to view beforehand. You set the book down on a table and look at it straight across, not top-down, and the animal looks like it's popping out of the middle of the page! Really fun! I've never seen anything like this.

If 3D movies were more like this book, I think I'd be a bigger fan!


Liviania said...

The two glasses are also good if one pair gets mangled - you've still got a spare.

Erika said...

Gah! This looks so awesome - my nephew would love it!! :)

Sam said...

This sounds pretty cool! I haven't ever read a book with 3D effects before but this is getting me all excited at the thought. :D A giant 3D spider? Creeeeepy! :D

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Oh this sounds awesome but I am with you on the glasses eventually getting destroyed if left unsupervised with younger kids! Fun!

Candace said...

I want! But yeah, those glasses never stick around long. We do have a few pairs around the house though. But other than the spider this would be AWESOME! We read LOTS of animal books in this house!

....Petty Witter said...

Not too sure if I like this idea or not. Of course it sounds like great fun, I'm just not too sure on where I stand with gimmicky books. On the one hand its great that they might encourage reading but on the other hand I'm kind of sad that such measures are needed. I don't know, perhaps its just me being too serious instead of accepting it for the fun read that it most likely is.

L-Diggitty said...

Ooooh!!!! I'm adding this to my growing children's library (I'm 7 months pregnant, but I'm stocking up now!). :)

Aylee said...

Ha! I love that this one clearly isn't ONLY for kids based on that scenario with your friends. This just sounds COOL.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Hahah, I can't even imagine turning a page and finding this giant 3D spider staring at me. That would surely give me a heart attack!
I have a feeling my kid would totally love this, she gets overjoyed whenever there are animals involved.
I might get her a copy for Christmas.
Great review!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Aww!! This looks so fun!