Monday, November 5, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Review by Lauren

copy borrowed from a friend, all opinions are my own

I do not own any photos in this post! They were all found online!

Official Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Review: I know, it's kind of a travesty to say that I just recently read this book. However, I can say that Looking for Alaska has been on my top-favorite books list for awhile now, so I'm not new to the power of John Green's stories...The Fault in Our Stars is just the latest and oh-so-amazing addition.

First off, I saw the beginning of a Julius Caesar movie last semester in my History and Film class and I heard the famous line where this book gets its title from. Even if I hadn't yet read the book, I knew what it was (of course) and was really excited to notice the connection!

Julius Caesar quote

Now, back to the book. I'm sure most of you have either read this book, read a review, or have heard someone talk about. Therefore, I'm not going to go on and on about the contents of the book. Besides, you don't really want me to ruin things for you, do you? It's one of those novels you really have to experience on your own.

Basically...The Faul in Our Stars is amazing. It's full of beauty and pain, anger and love. I know one complaint of this novel (and John Green's other books) is that his teens don't sound like teens. Well, I saw John Green live at the Cincinnati Public Library in October (my first time seeing him and it was amazing!!) and he said that it's true, he doesn't, but he writes how people think they sound...or wish they could sound. And I love that. I think there are teens that do speak like his characters, though, to be honest. It's not a problem for me...I love the way that John Green writes and the types of characters that he creates. Hazel and Augustus were no exception.

Like I said above, I saw John Green live and unfortunately, I didn't read this book beforehand. I did borrow my friend's signed copy afterwards though and flew through the pages as fast as I could, while still thoroughly relishing every word. Oh, and if you're curious, I got Looking for Alaska signed! Of course!

A tumblr find


The above quote is from The Faul in Our Stars and I thought I'd end my review sharing it, since it's something I can personally understand. I like advertising my favorite books, on some level, because it means it can go on to touch new people. I'd just hate to hear they didn't like it!

12 comments:

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

This an author I have been wanting to check out and I have read some stunning reviews on this, so obviously I am missing out, thanks for reminding me to be this sooner than later!

Aylee said...

I guess this makes me the last person who has not read this book then! Actually, and I feel like I need to whisper this or something, I haven't read any of John Green's books despite being a huge vlogbrothers fan since almost the beginning. Yikes. I guess I've hyped his books up in my mind SO much that I'm a little nervous, you know? But yes, this sounds phenomenal - I will have to read it sometime, someday. So jealous that you got to meet John!!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Looking for Alaska is one of my favorites as well, I love John Green so much! (Well, except for An Abundance of Katherines, I left that one unfinished). The Fault in Our Stars was a good book, and I think that you managed to put your feelings into words quite beautifully.
GReat review!

Medeia Sharif said...

This is one of the most powerful books I've read and I'll definitely be reading it again.

Erika said...

I read this book when it was first released and fell in love. John Green is such an incredible author! :)

Giselle said...

Eep. Yeah I'm almost ashamed to say I haven't read this or any John Green book O_O But I HAVE read reviews! Yeps I did! haha. Anyways, it sounds amazing and you just remind me that I'm a loser to not have read this yet! :D

Candace said...

I love love LOVE this book! So much so I bought signed copies for family and friends birthdays. You know, I think his characters DO sound like teens, just SMART teens. Its the same thing with David Levithan. Their characters may be a rare kind of teen, but there are PLENTY of teens that do sound the way they portray them. Either way, I love them! And their characters are always so great!
Strangely enough Looking for Alaska was my least favorite John Green book. I think its just the Alaska stuff was something I could relate to TOO well. I had a friend who was Alaska. Same personality. And she committed suicide when we were in high school. So I think that connection made it hard for me to enjoy the book.

NGS said...

I've read two books by John Green and have yet to be blown away, but I've heard such great things about this book that I can't wait to read it. (It's always checked out at our library!!)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I'm ashamed to say I have yet to read this, but it is downloaded on my Kindle!

Sarah (saz101) said...

Oh dear, well, Aylee's NOT the last person, because I haven't read it either... and... it's kind of worse because I actually own two separate copies of it O__o

But... oh goodness. These QUOTES. And this REVIEW. And this... ♥

Wonderful review xx

Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

I own a copy of this book, and cannot wait to read it. I just know it's going to be a special read. I love that you called it amazing, Lauren! Thanks for the review, chica.

Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

dwaynejohnston said...

Amazing review and thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely going to have a box of tissues near me when I read this :)

regards,
dwayne of Tony Lama Boots


blog advertising is good for you