Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Look At- These Things Happen by Richard Kramer



These Things Happen by Richard Kramer has been on my wish list for awhile now, so I was really stoked when TLC Book Tours contacted me about reading/reviewing the novel.

And while I'm reading (and loving this book) I haven't been able to finish it in time for my review...which is meant to go up today. So, I'm doing this post to at least have something to show you all in the hopes that you will check this one out! Don't worry, I'm still going to review the book and perhaps even have the author answer a few questions (do you have any based on the summary? Leave them in the comments)!

Official Summary:
A domestic story told in numerous original and endearing voices. The story opens with Wesley, a tenth grader, and involves his two sets of parents (the mom and her second husband, a very thoughtful doctor; and the father who has become a major gay lawyer/activist and his fabulous "significant other" who owns a restaurant).

Wesley is a fabulous kid, whose equally fabulous best friend Theo has just won a big school election and simultaneously surprises everyone in his life by announcing that he is gay. No one is more surprised than Wesley, who actually lives temporarily with his gay father and partner, so that he can get to know his rather elusive dad. When a dramatic and unexpected trauma befalls the boys in school, all the parents converge noisily in love and well-meaning support. But through it all, each character ultimately is made to face certain challenges and assumptions within his/her own life, and the playing out of their respective life priorities and decisions is what makes this novel so endearing and so special.

Sounds pretty awesome, right? I'm about midway through and I'm really enjoying it. I like that it has multiple points of views, so you aren't left wondering how a certain character thinks and feels. This one actually reminds me of an adult version of a John Green book, based on how the character's speak and 'write' so maybe that will give you a push to check it out.

Again, a review is forthcoming, I promise. Exam week is next week and school has just been taking up a lot more time than normal.

7 comments:

Liviania said...

John Green-esque is a high recommendation. (Man, he is having a great year.)

Candace said...

Oh wow, I hadn't heard of this yet and it sounds right up my alley! Definitelly adding it to the list! Cant wait for your review!

....Petty Witter said...

Sounds like a winner, the comparison with John Green is high praise indeed.

Good luck with those exams.

Erika said...

Similar to a John Green novel? Sold!

Good luck with exams next week. Mine are next week, as well. :/

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Well it sounds fun. I will be watching for your full review. Hang in there Winter break is coming!

Medeia Sharif said...

Thanks for sharing this book. I haven't seen it before and I bookmarked the Amazon page.

Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

Definitely do let us know what you think about this one. It sounds awesome, and really powerful!


blog advertising is good for you