Friday, December 21, 2012

P is for P.S. I Love You Letters (plus a personal story)


This is actually a post that has been a long time coming. I first started working with P.S. I Love You Letters last year. They were kind enough to send me a three letter kit in exchange for helping to spread the word about their amazing product. I began to send emails to whoever I could think of that might be interested. I got some feedback; not as much as I would have liked, or this company deserves. I am going to continue my quest to spread the word though and this is another shot at doing that.

The main reason, I suppose, that I stopped really pushing this company is because the person I wanted to have my box of letters passed away before I could give them to her to fill out.

Let's back track. P.S. I Love You Letters, no way affiliated with the book/movie, but if you know those, you'll have some idea of what the company is all about. You buy a kit (with either 3 or 5 letters) and it comes filled with everything you need. You write letters to your loved ones and then, as the site says:
When you have finished writing your letters, simply seal your envelopes with the provided wax seals and complete the corresponding Addressee Cards which contain the delivery instructions.

As for how these letters will get to their recipient, they are only sent out upon either your passing or a designated date:

It is important to understand, complete, and safely store the Notification Card included with your kit. This is the key to unlocking your account for delivery of your stored letters. We recommend storing the Notification Card with your estate or financial planning documents. You can also give it to a trusted friend or family member who you know will find it and carry out your wishes.

Finally, you must get your letters back to P.S. I Love You Letters, so they may store them in safe keeping until the time you wish for them to be mailed:

Once you've completed your letters and corresponding Addressee Cards, enclose them in the mailing envelope and return to P.S. I Love You Letters for secure storage. Here they are cataloged in your personal archive where they will remain until we receive your Notification Card.
Each Addressee Card allows you to specify the delivery time or occasion of your letter. Letters can be delivered immediately or at any time up to five years after we receive your Notification Card. For example, on Christmas, two years after we receive your Notification Card.

If you want to read the full instructions, then please visit the website.

Basically, you write letters to a loved one (or more) and then send them back to the company to keep them safe. You have a notification card that you either hold on to yourself, keep with a loved one, or put in your important documents (this all depends on when you want the letters mailed out). If you want to send the letters as a fun gift (like a First Anniversary gift between you and your spouse), then have one of you keep the card to send in and tell the company you want your letters mailed out in a year, or up to five years from now.

However, if you want to use these letters in the event of your passing, the notification card needs to be in a safe place, so someone can send it in to have the letters either mailed immediately or perhaps even in a year's time as a final gift. This is a particulary good idea for anyone that is in the military, especially if they go overseas. It's a nice way to tell your loved ones goodbye one last time, in the event anything happens.

Now that I've explained about the letters--back to my personal story. There is a woman who I grew up around my whole life; she was like a second mom when I was little, and then like an aunt. Definitely family. I consider her two children to be brother and sister. Anyway, she had breast cancer, and when I had these letters, I figured it would be wonderful to give them to her to write something to each of her children in the event of her passing away. However, the day I visited with my mom and sister (my mom holding on to the letters to give to her) she was not doing very well, and we left with the letters still with us. That friday, we got a call telling us she had passed away. It's still surreal that she's no longer with us and I'll always miss her...and I really hate that we didn't get the letters to her sooner so she could have written something for her kids. They know she loves them, though, and that's the main thing.

I still have the letters. I might give them to my brother, who is in the army and will be deployed next year. He has a wife and two kids...and my letter set has three letters. His kids are young; they couldn't read the letter themselves, but god forbid if anything happens to him, they would surely love having the letters as a token of their dad's love when they are old enough.

I know this isn't a particulary happy post, especially so close to Christmas, but it's always important to think of what could I think P.S. I Love You Letters would be a wonderful gift for anyone. It's not just in the event of someone's death, either, like I mentioned don't be afraid to give this as a wedding or anniversary gift.

Finally, here is what's included in a three letter kit-

  • Beautifully Designed Handmade Keepsake Box
  • Letterpressed Italian Linen Archival Stationery - 15 sheets
  • Letterpressed Italian Linen Archival Envelopes - 3
  • Custom Made Branded Wax Seals - 3
  • Return Envelope
  • Welcome Letter with Kit Registration Key
  • Beginner's Guide with Complete Instructions


    Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

    Wow. That is such a neat idea. Totally looking into this, thanks so much for sharing!

    Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

    What a cool idea. This would be great to do for kids and send them to them when the are adults...I will go check it out. Thanks and enjoy your holidays, Lauren.

    Septori noplasti said...

    You are a very gifted writer. I'm surprised you don't have more people linking to this.

    Erika said...

    This is such an awesome idea for a gift! :)

    Aylee said...

    Thank you for sharing, Lauren... I'm so sorry to hear about your family friend. It is a shame, but like you say, I am sure her children know she loved them very much.

    I probably won't get to chat with you again before Christmas so I hope you have a good one! I also hope you get to spend plenty of time with your brother before he is deployed.