Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Deranged Stalker's Journal of Pop Culture Shock Therapy by Doug Bratton


The Deranged Stalker's Journal of Pop Culture Shock Therapy by Doug Bratton

Review by Lauren

copy sent for review, but all opinions are my own

Official Summary:





Ah, what would popular culture be without characters such as Lindsay Lohan and Mel Gibson, along with the pop culture--centrific media that covers them? For starters, Doug Bratton's The Deranged Stalker's Journal of Pop Culture Shock Therapy might not exist, and, well, that would be very sad indeed. Inside The Deranged Stalker's Journal of Pop Culture Shock Therapy, Bratton skewers pop culture icons ranging from Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie to Harry Potter.
 
Fashioned as a mock-style journal whose author is just a little bit unstable, The Deranged Stalker's Journal of Pop Culture Shock Therapy lambasts the best--and worst--of popular culture, one cartoon panel at a time. From recent news headlines to celeb-inspired mockumentaries, Bratton offers a humorously skewed view of fame, popular culture, and American Idol-worship. So if you are one of the millions of people who often wonders what it would be like if a psychopath and his imaginary friend kept a journal of a funny-yet-obscure comic that will most likely never appear in your newspaper, this is certainly the book to read!




Review: Another review that starts with an apology. I was sent this book quite awhile ago to check out for review and while I read it and loved it, I never actually got a review written. I don't know why. These things just happen sometimes. Be prepared for another book review in the next couple days of a book I've had and yet just recently read.

But back to this one! I used the summary above from Amazon, but really all you need to know is that this book is a mix of comics and commentary, except the commentary is made by a fake fan who goes way past fanaticism and onto "stalker" territory, hence the title!

While the stalker aspect makes this more of a novel and adds a bit of comedy, I actually love this book for the comics alone. These are the parts that make fun of pop culture, new and old. You get J.K. Rowling's bathroom, where she uses rolls of money instead of toilet paper...and even an adult Christopher Robin, who has become an alcoholic and desperate to get Pooh to talk to him like he did when he was young. As you can tell, these are some comics you must have a sense of humor about. I love J.K. Rowling (and the Harry Potter books that made her so rich) as well as Winnie-the-Pooh, but I can also make fun of the things I love. So this book works for me.

There really isn't a lot to say, to be honest. This is one of those titles you just have to pick up for yourself and I do recommend it! It's perfect for all genders, though the reader should definitely be older, and might make a unique gift for that "nerdy" friend or family member of yours!

My one complaint is that I couldn't find another collection of comics by Doug Bratton and I really wish there was one!

Sample of the book - do not own image

3 comments:

Medeia Sharif said...

I enjoy books that have pop culture in them. Thanks for sharing this.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I think what you are saying is that you have to have a deviant sense of humor to enjoy this one. I do have a misguided sense of humor so I am certain I would love this title!

Liviania said...

Sounds fun - the sample image reminds me of Bizarro.