Monday, December 31, 2012

The Sandman: Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman


The Sandman: Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman

Review by Lauren

Copy From: borrowed from a friend!

do not own any photos

Official Summary: Joined by a dream-team of artists from around the world, Neil Gaiman - the Hugo Award-winning, New York Times best-selling author of American Gods and the children's book Coraline - returned to the beloved characters he made famous for THE SANDMAN: ENDLESS NIGHTS, the comics event of 2003.Alternately haunting, bittersweet, erotic and nightmarish, the seven stories in this book - one for each of the Endless siblings, each illustrated by a different artist - reveal strange secrets and surprising truths.

Review: The Endless siblings are all things that are, well, endless. These include Death, Dream, Desire, Delirium, and more. About a year and a half ago, I took a class all on graphic novels and we read The Sandman: Season of Mists and I loved it. I'd been wanting to read more in the series, and actually start at the beginning, for awhile now. This past semester though, I was talking to a friend and she offered to let me borrow Endless Nights, because she said it's a great place to start when you aren't that familiar with this world.

Desire


Believe me, she is right. If you're intersted in The Sandman books, then I would suggest starting here (I haven't read the first book, but obviously starting there should be fine too). I liked Endless Nights though because each chapter focused on a sibling and it allowed me to get to know them better and figure out just what their role is in this series. While I loved Seasons of Mists, reading that first made me jump into a series midway, and I wouldn't recommend that. It's especially not good for those of you who aren't big graphic novel readers.

Actually reviewing Endless Nights is a bit difficult, though, since it's not a cohesive story. Each chapter is a moment in the siblings' lives as well, so those aren't even all full stories. It works, though, because it allowed me to learn about them and become even more curious to read the rest of the series.

Death


The Sandman novels are quite imaginative with some wonderful artwork. I love that the chapters were done by different artists. It gave each story and sibling their own personality. As for the writing, it's very well-done and reads a lot like a novel. To be honest, The Sandman novels are the only works I've read by Neil Gaiman (his others are own my TBR list, though!) but they are very well done and should not be passed aside as simple "comics" with very little substance. That is most definitely not the case!

I do want to warn those of you who aren't famililar with these works, though, that there are sexual moments in the stories and as a graphic novel, there is nudity. If that bothers you, you might want to skip this. However, in my opinion, it's not overdone and doesn't take away from the stories.

9 comments:

Liviania said...

Neil Gaiman's run on The Sandman is classic. I've read this tie-in anthology and I did like it, though it's hard to recall specifics.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

My boyfriend is totally interested in this.

LHughes said...

I bought my brother volumes 3 and 4 of Gaiman's Sandman for X-mas. He's a 3D animator and I always buy him graphic novels for inspiration. I really hope he likes them, and your review encouraged me that he would. I've heard only great things. :)

Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

Medeia Sharif said...

I bookmarked the Amazon page. After reading Coraline I want to read more Gaiman.

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I've never read anything by Neil and I don't read many graphic novels, but they always looks so fantastic!

Erika said...

I LOVE Neil Gaiman - used one of his quotes for New Year's, in fact! He is such a master of words! :)

Sarah (saz101) said...

I am OBSESSED with Neil Gaiman! EEEEEEEEE! I have tickets to see him when he comes to Australia later this month and SFKJGSKLGF. *FREAK OUT*

I haven't read the Sandman graphic novels, but I got vol.1 & 2 for my brother for Christmas. I love American Gods and Stardust and The Graveyard Book, though.

Seriously. I've never been as excited to read the Sandman ones as I am right now. SOOOO excited ♥

Giselle said...

I've really enjoyed the books by Neil Gaiman I've read so this one is definitely catching my eye. I haven't actually ever read a graphic novel before but I find them so intriguing I really want to get into one, soon! Great review!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I think different artists doing different chapters is a wonderful idea in this case. It sounds great. Like Giselle, I've had much luck with Gaiman and this sounds like something I defintiely need to check out.
Great review!


blog advertising is good for you