Interview with Victoria Scott, author of The Collector
Questions by Lauren
Official Summary of The Collector (out April 2, 2013): Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence has made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple, weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.
Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal opportunity collector and doesn’t want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:
Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within 10 days.
Dante doesn’t know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky, Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect—he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector, and uncover emotions deeply buried.
Interview with Victoria Scott
1. First off, is The Collector going to be part of a series or a stand-alone?
A series! Entangled Teen bought the rights to three books.
2. Since Dante Walker is the talk of the blog world (and there is even a "version" of him on your book cover), I have to ask: what current actor would you choose to play Dante if The Collector was made into a film?
I would have Zac Effron play Dante. I feel like he's a strong enough actor and could pull off the swagger. Plus, you know, I could meet Zac. So there's that.
3. Your website includes songs listed as "Dante's Faves". Are these songs you think Dante would like, or are they actually pertainable to the story?
Great question! They are songs that represent Dante in some way or another.
4. Witty characters are quite attractive to readers these days. What were the best and worst (or you know, hardest...) parts of writing in Dante's voice?
Man, it was pretty easy to nail his voice, but when writing smexy scenes I had to constantly remind myself that "I'm the guy right now." Ha!
5. Your summary describes Charlie as a "Nerd Alert chick". I take that to mean she's a nerd, or a geek, but could you elaborate?
Oh, yes. She's quite the nerd....a lovable nerd, though. Someone who has friends and dreams and a good heart, but also someone who doesn't fit social norms for one reason or another. I heart Charlie Cooper something fierce, and hope readers will, too.
About the Author:
Victoria Scott is the author of THE COLLECTOR trilogy (Entangled Teen) and THE BRIMSTONE BLEED trilogy (Scholastic). Victoria has a master's degree in marketing, and lives in Dallas with her husband. You can find her online at: www.VictoriaScottYA.com.