Friday, April 26, 2013

Who Says...Mom's Can't Be Dorks?

I said I was going to try and start a new feature called "Who Says?" which is essentially all about discussion and sharing about fun things. So far, I've only had one post...sorry about that!! However, with Mother's Day coming up...

Who Says Mom's Can't Be Dorks?

It seems like most people come up with the same ideas for mom's on Mother's Day (May 12 in the U.S.) like perfume, a gift card, chocolate, flowers, jewelry, etc. But what if you're mom is a nerd/dork/geek? I'm sure they would love to get something a little more exciting and different!

One of my own gifts for my mom this year falls under this category, but I'm afraid I can't share until after May 12...since my mom reads my blog. I can't ruin it!

However, I can share some other nerd-tastic ideas moms out there might enjoy.

And remember: Share your thoughts! Moms, do you want a non-typical gift? Everyone- would you get your mom one of these gifts or something else more unique? Have you ever done so in the past?


ThinkGeek is certainly trying to help all your geek moms out there, by putting together fun packs with various themes. As you can see from the above photo, one such pack is all about Doctor Who!

You get- Tardis bath/beach towel, Tardis coasters, Tardis Acrylic Cup, and River Song's Tardis Journal!

Buy this whole set for $49.99 (originally $61.96)

Click this link to find other sets (Maternal Happiness, Big Bang Theory, etc.) as well as other top geek gifts for mom!


Is your mom the only lady in the house? Maybe she's alone with your dad, or maybe all your siblings are boys. Whatever the reason, I think any "dorky" mom would enjoy this Fanny Rosebottom's Lavatory Mist to keep the bathroom smelling nice after those boys take over!

You can currently get this for $11.95 and it says it lasts for about 500 applications! There are other types of bathroom sprays, but those are usually focused more toward the guys. I think this is a perfect option for a mom with a good sense of humor!

I know there are plenty of you bloggers out there that are moms. Wouldn't you like your child and/or husband to get you something that includes your love of blogging? I know I'd love this candle in general, as I really do love blogging and it's so cute!

Buy your Keep Calm and Write a Blog candle for $28!

You get a variety of scents to choose from, as well as other Keep Calm candle ideas. If you don't like anything they are currently selling, you can design your own through the site!

I know candles are something a lot of moms get for Mother's Day (or any other gift giving time) but these are a bit more unique and fun, and you know the person buying it really thought about you and your likes!

11 comments:

Charlene C said...

I had alot of fun reading your post! Too bad my Mom isn't very nerdy, so I'm afraid I might get some of these things for myself...

Sam said...

I'm not a mum, but I think I fall into the nerd/dork/geek category comfortably. I'd take a Doctor Who gift pack to perfume and flowers any day! Thanks for sharing. These look brilliant. :)

Erika said...

Ohmigosh I want that candle! :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I can certainly be a dork. Love the candle! I am such a candle freak. I now own Poop Potpourri thanks to you! I imagine the lavender stuff is along those lines! Great ideas thanks for sharing!

Giselle said...

Bahah i love these! The Dr Who pack is perfect for my friend who's obsessed and constantly posting stuff on FB about it lol

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I always think it's a bit silly when presents have to be stereotypically male or female, it's nice to mix it up and give the recipient something they'd actually like!

The Teen Book Guru said...

These sound so cool and wacky! LOL my mom is definitely a dork. :P (but, like in the best way possible, mom, if you're reading this...) Great post, you guys!

Brandi Kosiner said...

Too funny. I am def a mom nerd. I loved the keep calm and blog.

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

Those are all so cute! My mom is difficult to shop for. I'm trying to figure out what to get her and be different this year but no idea yet. lol

Candace said...

Oh I would love something unique like these ideas! I'm tired of all the candles (yeah, I'm weird) but I do love that one just for the saying. I may have to come up with a creative theme and ask my hubby and kids to pick out the stuff together. That might be fun for them! Thanks for the ideas!

Aylee said...

Love these ideas! Although my mum isn't much of a nerd/geek. I'm alone in that respect. BUT I'm always in the market for nerdy gifts for others/myself, so thanks for the tips! Looking forward to the next "Who Says?" feature!