Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Book Review: Brave New World + Make It a Gift


Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Review by Lauren

copy from a friend

Review: I couldn't find a suitable summary for this novel, but if you want to know some basics about the world, then you can go here. I'd stick to just the first paragraph or so, otherwise, you'll be ruining important parts of the novel.

The reason I read this, however, is because a friend of mine was talking about it one night and when I admitted I had never read it, she lent me her copy. It was a novel I finished quite quickly and I think a lot of people nowadays would love it since Dystopian novels are such a hit.

In simple terms, Brave New World is essentially a Utopia that doesn't really work. Not everyone is equal and the government essentially takes away their citizen's freewill all in the name of happiness. If everyone is happy, or can take a drug when they are not, then that's all that is important. It's easy to see how this idea could be compelling to people, but it's not realistic. They are living in a world that isn't meant to be.

For a classic, Brave New World is a novel that keeps up with today's lifestyle. This is a still a world that does not exist, yet you could imagine people wishing for something similar.

I found most of the characters disagreeable in one way or another; this is not to say that I disliked all of them. Yes, there are ones that are certainly more "villainous" but everyone seems to have a side of them that you empathize with. I think giving these characters different sides to their personalities just made them more believable. This is especially true of John, the Savage, who did not grow up in London and this "brave new world" - instead he was born and raised in North America among the Indians. I won't say anything else about him, because his part of the story is quite fascinating and going into too much detail would spoil things. However, John is a character that many will find themselves rooting for, yet at the same time, not always agreeing with his actions.

In general, I'm glad my friend told me to read this. Brave New World would be a great classic for current high school teachers to use in their classes; I can see a lot of people enjoying it more so than some other titles you're forced to read.

Now...let's Make it a Gift!

Out of Print Clothing sells all sorts of items featuring classic novels. I actually own a t-shirt and a sweater from them. The sweater features A Clockwork Orange and is unbelievably comfortable...so this Brave New World sweater is now on my wish-list for the upcoming Fall/Winter seasons.

If you want to give this novel in the summer, however, you can grab a Brave New World t-shirt (Men's/Unisex) as well. You can even get a Brave New World greeting card or a coaster set with various covers, including Brave New world.

15 comments:

Aylee said...

Hey, good for you for making time to read this classic! I haven't gotten around to it yet myself (along with a bazillion other classics I should read), but I really have been meaning to. I would love to compare it to the dystopians of today. I really loved reading your thoughts on it!

Andrea @The Bookish Babes said...

Great idea on the shirt. There are a lot of books that I'd like clothing from.

I've heard of this book, but never really knew what it is about. I agree that many readers now would love it.
Great review!

....Petty Witter said...

Thanks for this as my husband has read and re-read this book countless times I'll be sure to check out this merchandise.

Liviania said...

OOP Clothing is so cool.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh now I want to read this book. It's been on my radar for quite a while and just never read it. I'm also going to check out that website. Nice.

Medeia Sharif said...

Cool shirt.

I read this long ago in high school and can't remember much of it. I'd like to reread it.

Erika said...

I've never read this book before - my familiarity with the classics isn't super high...I don't read them enough! :/

Sam said...

This caught my attention quite a while ago, but I haven't really thought about it since. Your review reminds me that I need to get to it! I'm glad you liked it overall. Classic utopian/dystopian reads rarely make it onto my pile, but I hope to give this one a try. Lovely review!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Goodness, it's been a while since I'd read Huxley. His were the books of my youth, or more precisely, my high school days. I know that you mean about the characters being incredibly multilayered, that's one of the things I adored about this book as well.
Fabulous review!

Brandi Kosiner said...

I read this in high school so automatically disliked it becaue it was required

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I LOVE Out of Print!

Jasprit said...

I love it when characters leave you torn! There seems to be such a great influx of dystopian books that I never know where to start but Brave New World does sound like it has something different to offer! Lovely review!

Candace said...

I'm not sure about the book, but I'm all over that clothing! LOL. The book sounds interesting, I think I would have liked it in high school a lot and maybe when I'm less burnt out on dystopian (utopian) books I may find I enjoy it. Strangely enough I don't think I'd ever heard of it. I wonder if my brother has read it... it sounds like his kind of book. I'm going to text him now and see.

GABY said...

Cool sweater! This book reminded me another book, Matched by Ally Condie. They also have pills...

Vegan YA Nerds said...

We had to read and watch this for high school and all I remember is finding it boring but I wonder if I'd feel differently if I read it now!

I love that you paired it with a gift, so fun!