Sunday, July 7, 2013

Review: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein


Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Review by Lauren

I bought the book

Official Summary: Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy?


Review: I'm not known to read a lot of historical fiction, but I am quite fascinated by stories surrounding WWII. However, what made me sure I needed to check out this novel was all the blog reviews I kept seeing. They went on and on about it being an emotional, wonderfully plotted novel with characters you're sure to remember. All of that - and so much more - is true.

I won't say too much about this book as there are a ton of other reviews out there, so I'm sure most of you have already read at least one. I will say that it's true the book can seem a bit slow in the start, but you should push on. I was almost always interested, though, so you're sure to find yourself fascinated enough to want to know more.

Verity is a unique individual. She doesn't always make the best decisions, but she's a fighter in her own way. Her account given to the Nazis is full of love for her family and Maddie, the pilot she left behind in France (before Verity ends up being caught and interrogated).

Code Name Verity is a book you can't discuss too much until the other person has read it too. I don't want to ruin the thrill of reading this book and hearing Verity's story for your own. Definitely one you'll want to discuss with others once you've finished though.

I can't wait for the companion novel, Rose Under Fire. Be sure to read Code Name Verity before you look into Rose though or you might find something spoiled!

And now, a quote that I think fits Verity quite well:

“It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit.”
-J.R.R. Tolkien

And finally, a quote that I feel Maddie and Verity would say to each other:

 “Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
-A.A.Milne

16 comments:

Andrea @The Bookish Babes said...

I do enjoy historical fiction occasionally, and have heard that this is an amazing book. I really should give it a try.
Thanks for the review!

elena said...

I'm not really a fan of historical fiction either but I LOVED THIS BOOK. So glad you did too!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I agree that it's a little slow to start off with, though I really liked this too! I'm looking forward to reading Rose Under Fire soon and hope that it'll be just as good. Lovely review as always! :)

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I have not read this one yet. I typically get afraid of historical fiction, which is funny because I usually end up loving them, but it has definitely been the reviews that have out this book on my radar. Thank you for the heads up on the slow beginning and the need to push through. :)

Pooja. S said...

So glad you loved this book too! Cuz I LOVED IT!!! You did an amazing job summarising what worked for the book- that despite the slow start, it's so worth the read :D

Aneeqah said...

I feel like I'm a terrible person for not picking this one up already! I've had it on my Kindle even before it came out, yet I haven't picked it up yet. Despite the slow start, this book sounds whole-heartedly emotional and phenomenal, which I'm really excited about. Those quotes you shared are definitely some of my favorites, so I'm also looking forward to learning about what made you choose those. =)

Lovely review, and thanks for sharing! <3 I will be picking this one up soon!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Loved those quotes to sum up the book. Oh you sold me with that one. I really hadn't heard of this book and thanks for putting it on my radar. So going to check it out. Brilly review!

Charlene C said...

I've seen this title around, but haven't actually read the review til now - sounds like a great book! I hope it is not too sad though? I'll have to check it out some time, great review!

Hilda K said...

Oh, the A.A.Milne's quote in the end is one of my favorites! <3 That quote alone convinces me enough to shove this book up to the top of my TBR pile, Lauren! I'm glad you enjoyed this book a lot! I think I've never seen any negative review about this book. It sounds so gripping and emotional! Hopefully the high expectation won't betray me. ;)

Amazing review, Lauren! <3 Now I can't wait to read this book! :)

Aylee said...

Agreed! I will admit to struggling with this book in the beginning, but I'm so happy I stuck through it! I loved all the little clues and reveals. It made me want to go back and read the book over again so that I could pickup on anything I missed the first time. Eeee so glad you loved this one too, Lauren!!

Medeia Sharif said...

I didn't recognize it at first because I've seen a different cover. This is on my wish list.

Brandi Kosiner said...

Glad you enjoyed and that it is one of those books that is hard to discuss without reading. The slow start would be hard on me.

Erika said...

The quotes you featured are just perfect! :)

Anna said...

I'm glad you liked this one. I absolutely loved it, and my daughter did too. So excited about Rose Under Fire!

Bookworm1858 said...

Favorite book of 2012-can't wait for Rose Under Fire to see if Wein can hit it out of the park again!

Sarah Woodard said...

I felt very similar about this book.


blog advertising is good for you