Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Contemporary and Classic Novels Paired Up!

Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish

Top 10 Contemporary Books That Would Be Great Paired With A Required Reading Book (like Perks of Being A Wallflower with Catcher in the Rye)

I love the idea of pairing contemporary novels with a classic. I think it would help people read more in school if teachers actually did this. My list below includes books I have and have not read; but based on what I know of them, I think these pairings would work!

-Lauren

1. Looking for Alaska by John Green and A Separate Peace by John Knowles (take place in boarding schools, deal with boys growing up...-I have read both of these)

2. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson and On the Road by Jack Kerouac (I feel like road trip novels ultimately have similar themes, so this would be an interesting pairing - I have read both of these)

3. Ten by Gretchen McNeil and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (I have read Christie's novel and I own Ten, but have not read it. However, based on the summary, Ten seems to  be a modern remake of And Then There Were None)

4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (both are narrated by boys with mental disorders - I have read Curious Incident and a bit of Algernon)

5. Beauty Queens by Libba Bray and Lord of the Flies William Golding (both deal with kids being stranded on an island without adults...- I have only read Lord of the Flies as of yet)

6. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next by Ken Kesey (both deal with guys in a mental hospital - I have read both of these)

7. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (one is a dystopia, the other is a utopia- or supposed to be- and I find the world people live in in Brave New World is similar to the Capitol in THG. Just wait until an outsider enters though! - I have read both of these)

8. Maus I and II: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman and Night by Elie Wiesel (both deal with the Holocaust. Maus I and II are graphic novels and Art shares his father's time in the concentration camps, while Night is a memoir of Elie's time in the concentration camps - I have read all of these)

And that's it! I hate to stop at 8, but I guess it's a bit better than being only one away! What other matches can you come up with? Link your post if you did Ten on Tuesday as well!

14 comments:

Erika said...

YES to # 3 and 5 - love love! :)

Liviania said...

#5 is a particularly perfect pairing.

Karen said...

What a cool idea for a post.

Unfortunately I haven't read many classics but definitely see #5.

I think a lot of authors stories are inspired by the classics so you can find similarities.

elena said...

interesting pairings! i think the idea of dystopia vs utopia is fascinating.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Wow! I am impressed at your pairings. I have several of these books on my list to read and I have read a few as well. Thanks for putting together such a terrific list.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Added Ten and Beauty Queens to my Goodreads. Thanks!

Andrea @The Bookish Babes said...

What a cool idea! You're so much more clever than me.
Thanks for sharing!

Medeia Sharif said...

These are wonderful pairings. I've read some of these and you've made me curious about the rest.

Emma V. said...

I LOVE Looking for Alaska! Also, And Then There Were None was required reading a year or so ago for me and I loved it. :)

My TTT:http://spunwithwords.blogspot.com/2013/09/top-ten-tuesday-9313.html

Aneeqah said...

Ooh, I SO love the idea of reading classics and then matching it with modern books. As a student, I think that would actually help me enjoy the classic even more, seeing some of the literary themes repeated in modern work. It would definitely make things more relatable. =)

My favorite pairing here has to be Ten and And Then There Were None. I've read both, and they both would work so perfectly together! It would be great to compare and contrast some of the differences between them, yet see how they're the same at the core. Also, I've read Amy & Roger, so I really want to read On the Road now! Road trip books are always good. ;)

Lovely picks, I really enjoyed this post! <3

bibliophilesisters said...

3,5 and 7 are perfect. I've read all the books and they go so well together! Good job with the list I will have to check out some of the other books I haven't read yet.

L-Diggitty said...

I loved "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time." My brother's autistic and, aside from Temple Grandin, it's hard to find an author who really captures what it's like.

Candace said...

I haven't read any of these pairs. I mean, some I've read one or the other, but not both. But from what I know those are perfect together (the ones I'm at least semi familiar with anyway). This is fun!

Lauren Elizabeth said...

I've read some of these, but I don't think I've read one complete pairing on the list. But many of these are on my TBR pile so I know the plots pretty well, and you did an amazing job at pairing them up! Thanks for sharing :-)


blog advertising is good for you