Friday, October 18, 2013

Review: Ghost the Musical


Ghost the Musical
 
Review by Lauren
 
check tour dates here

Website Summary: Adapted from the hit film by its Academy Award-winning screenwriter Bruce Joel Rubin, Ghost The Musical follows Sam and Molly, a young couple whose connection takes a shocking turn after Sam’s untimely death. Trapped between two worlds, Sam refuses to leave Molly when he learns she is in grave danger. Desperate to communicate with her, he turns to a storefront psychic who helps him protect Molly and avenge his death.

Review: To be honest, I've never fully seen the movie Ghost. However, I have a subscription to my local theater for most musicals visiting this season and the first one was Ghost, which I went and saw with my mom. In the end, we both did enjoy this adaptation.

I felt that all the actors did a wonderful job in their respective roles. My favorite was probably Oda Mae Brown, the psychic. She added much of the humor and that's one factor in almost any form of entertainment that I appreciate. The actress also has a great voice and Oda Mae's high-energy songs were a lot of fun to listen to.

Ghost is essentially a romance; one that lasts beyond death and is sure to make young couples swoon. However, I like the aspects of the story that deal with other facets of life and death. Therefore, one of my favorite songs and something I keep thinking about is "Focus" which is performed by the Subway Ghost. It's almost like a rap and spoken-word poetry all in one. If you can find it online somewhere, be sure to listen. I think I'll have to do that soon myself. I have to say though that this part was not my mom's favorite as she found it a bit odd and confusing.

The main thing that I loved about this musical was the special effects. They used some version of a screen or video (I don't know how it worked exactly) to make things appear that were not actually occurring on stage. For example, the character of Sam eventually finds himself able to go through walls, and with these effects, it looks like Sam is pushing himself through a door. I thought these effects made it much more of a movie-experience and it simply added to the story.

Overall, this is a musical that I did find rather enjoyable and I'm glad I had the chance to see it. Would I pay to see it again? Probably not for awhile, as it didn't automatically make my favorite's list.

15 comments:

Tracy Terry said...

Loved the film but alas I'm not sure about the musical. I suppose a lot would depend on the lead actors and how well the iconic 'potters wheel' scene was done.

Liviania said...

You should see the movie! Whoopi Goldberg! Patrick Swayze! But I'm glad the musical was good.

Allie @ Little Birdie Books said...

Okay you HAVE to see the movie. Whoopi is on form in it and it's just heartbreaking and hilarious all rolled into one.

- Allie @ Little Birdie Books

bermudaonion said...

Now you need to watch the movie!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Oh gosh, I adore the movie. I saw it when I was a senior in high school and loved it. I highly recommend you check it out. I am not sure about a musical adaptation, but heck I am game!

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I think I have actually seen the whole movie or many just parts. No idea, it was a long time ago. I'm not read a movie person, we can say. Anyhow I'm so glad you enjoyed this musical. Great review :)

Erika Sorocco said...

I can't believe that they turned Ghost into a musical - that sounds like an interesting thing to see live!! :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I'm not much into musicals, aside from Wicked, which I would see over and over. I could maybe be talked into this though.

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I've never considered seeing a musical adaptation of this! I remember watching the movie in school years ago, but I haven't seen it since. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. :)

Alise (Readers In Wonderland) said...

I think I have seen the movie but it was so long ago I can't say I remember any details. I do love musicals though, and it seems like you enjoyed this one well enough.

Medeia Sharif said...

I loved the movie. This makes me want to watch it again. I'd also like to see the musical.

Melanie said...

Am I the only one that hasn't heard of this at all? O.O Must check it out...

Thanks for sharing! <33

Aylee said...

You know, I've never really seen Ghost either. But yeah, I would see this! Mainly because I love musicals period, but also the special effects sound cool. I don't think this musical will be heading my way any time soon but I'll be on the lookout for when it does! Thanks for the heads up, Lauren.

Candace said...

I've seen bits and pieces of the movie, but not the whole thing. I would definitely love to see the musical though!

Lauren Elizabeth said...

I loved the movie and had no idea there was a musical version. Glad you enjoyed it! I would definitely see it if it came to my town.