Friday, October 25, 2013

Review: Swans and Klons by Nora Olsen

Swans and Klons by Nora Olsen

Review by Lauren

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

copy sent from author, but all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Sixteen-year-old Rubric and her unpredictable girlfriend Salmon Jo enjoy their pampered life in an all-female world being served by non-human klons, until they discover a terrible secret in the laboratory where humans and klons are grown in vats.

Review: I don't read a lot of books that fall under the science-fiction umbrella, but some really do sound good to me, so I decided to check out Swans and Klons by Nora Olsen to see what twists she had to share! The world that Rubric and her girlfriend, Salmon Jo live in is full of females. There are no males...except in another part of the world that is unsuitable for people like them. The two girls eventually realize a truth about their "perfect world" that sheds light on the way they live, and they decide to take action.

I loved that even though they might be scared, they stuck together and tried to change things. Obviously, the entire world isn't going to change by just their actions alone, but they found that it was worth it to try. I won't go into a lot of detail about this world, but I did find it easy to understand and I didn't find myself questioning the set-up. It honestly felt like something that could happen far in the future.

Also, since this world is girls only, then of course the dating scene will be girls with girls, which was a twist I really appreciated. In this setting, there is nothing wrong with being a lesbian...and it's not even called that. There is nothing different about it, because the male species is not a desirable. Intriguing, huh? It definitely adds something unique.

Overall, I liked this book. It was a quick read and something a bit different for me. I think it's still a novel many will find some unique twists in, though. My main complaint is that because it's short, it seemed to end a bit too suddenly for me. I wanted aspects of the book to continue, even if I did understand the thoughts behind their ending actions. This is a book that I'm pretty sure is a stand-alone, yet could allow for a sequel or even a companion novel.


Erika Sorocco said...

Wow, this sounds incredibly strange yet original.


Liviania said...

So does Klons mean clones? That is a terrible title.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Does sound different but I do have trouble with books that seem too short. In one way that is a good thing, in another... you need more! LOL Great review though!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Interesting little book. Sounds like it is definitely unique. The cover certainly is creepy!

Synchronized Reading said...

i remember seeing this book awhile back but never looked into it. It definitely sounds interesting especially the none existent male species.

Janina @ Synchronized Reading

Candace said...

I hadn't heard of this. It sounds very strange, but very intriguing!

Melanie said...

Some books are too short and some are too long! Us readers are so picky lolz.

Brilliant review as always, Lauren! <33

Alise (Readers In Wonderland) said...

This is new to me but it sounds very unique and I love the concept behind it. Does leave me with a few questions so I may just check this one out!

Rachel said...

I'm not much of a science fiction reader because I'm always afraid all the explanations and world building will bore me to tears. This doesn't sound like that happened here with everything being easy to understand. It also helps that some of the things seem like they could actually happen. Glad to see you enjoyed this, Lauren. Great review! :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Sounds really interest, I could definitely be interested in this novel.