Thursday, December 5, 2013

Movie Review: Delivery Man



Delivery Man

Movie Review by Lauren

IMDB Summary: An affable underachiever finds out he's fathered 533 children through anonymous donations to a fertility clinic 20 years ago. Now he must decide whether or not to come forward when 142 of them file a lawsuit to reveal his identity.

Review: This is one of those movies that I actually wish was a book first. The reason being is that I would have loved to have gotten to know some of David's 533 kids a bit better. However, I still like that the movie focused in on a select few of his sons and daughters. When David first decides to track down his kids, without revealing his identity, there is a montage of moments where he interacts with them as just a regular good Samaritan and not their biological father. Yes, these moments could be deemed creepy by some people, but I think the movie handles it well.

I'm a fan of Vince Vaughn, but I'm not always into the gross/frat-dude type of movies that he stars in, so it was nice to see him in a comedic film that was also really touching. The character of David is a bit of a loser, but it's not that he doesn't care. He loves his family and he steps up for his girlfriend when he needs too. These aspects of his personality begin to grow even more when he realizes it feels nice to help other people, especially your own biological children.

Apart from Vaughn, I love actor Chris Pratt, who plays best friend and father of four, Brett. He knows what it's like to be an everyday father and a lot of the comedy comes from the chaos he deals with. It's believable and fun and a nice contrast to David's experience of fatherhood thus far. Plus, Brett also becomes David's lawyer when 142 of his children file a lawsuit to find out his identity. This role in David's life is almost the devil on his shoulder, telling him to keep his life secret and not to give into the curiosity of finding his children. As for the angel, well, David has to figure that out on his own.

Delivery Man is an enjoyable movie, and it's one I would see again. I saw it on Thanksgiving Day with my family and it was very suitable as it touches on a lot of aspects of love and family. Worth checking out, at the very least!

15 comments:

Andrea @The Bookish Babes said...

I really like Vaughn, and I've even curious about this one. Glad to see it's worth a shot!

Liviania said...

I like Chris Pratt too! So happy he's going to be in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Karen said...

I wasn't too interested in this one but it sounds kind of fun.

Eileen said...

Oh I've seen ads for this one on TV recently, it sounds like such a great movie. I definitely can see the bonds between those select few of his children forming just through your review.

Thanks for sharing, I may need to drag a friend out to see it with me soon :)

Medeia Sharif said...

This sounds interesting. I'm sure this is possible in real life, but I haven't heard of it.

Jasprit said...

I don't think I've seen this movie around Lauren, but it does sound like so much fun. And I can definitely see the appeal of this film being made into a book, I would certainly be interested in reading that. Thanks for putting this film on my radar Lauren!

Candace said...

I'm with you, I like Vince Vaughn, but I'm not always a fan of the kind of movies he's in. This one sounds like one I would really enjoy! I'll definitely have to watch it with my husband.

kimbacaffeinate said...

I agree, I would have loved a book version of this. I enjoy Vaughn. Awesome review :)

kimbacaffeinate said...

I agree, I would have loved a book version of this. I enjoy Vaughn. Awesome review :)

bermudaonion said...

A friend and I are thinking of going to see this one. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Alise (Readers In Wonderland) said...

"Yes, these moments could be deemed creepy by some people..." LOL. I keep seeing the previews of this and it looks great. I agree about Vince Vaughn, I'm not a fan of his other films either so it's great to see him starring in one like this.

Lauren Elizabeth said...

Ooh I've been wanting to see this one! So glad to hear that you liked it enough to watch it again. And I can't tell you how often I wish a movie had been a book first. :-) Awesome review!

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

This movie looks so funny and the concept is so interesting! Definitely would be a good book. Glad to hear you enjoyed it with your family!

juliagoolia1920 said...

Can't wait to see this!

juliagoolia1920 said...

Can't wait to see this!