Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd



The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd

Review by Lauren

bought my own copy; opinions are still my own

Official Summary: It's Dade's last summer at home, and things are pretty hopeless. He has a crappy job, a "boyfriend" who treats him like dirt, and his parents' marriage is falling apart. So when he meets and falls in love with the mysterious Alex Kincaid, Dade feels like he's finally experiencing true happiness. But when a tragedy shatters the final days of summer, he realizes he must face his future and learn how to move forward from his past.

Review: I actually finished this book awhile ago, and I never got around to reviewing it, so this won't be terribly long. Basically, if you're interested in LGBT novels with relatable characters, then I would definitely give this one a shot. I bought a copy a long time ago and finally got a chance to read it!

Dade isn't out in the beginning of the novel. He's mostly come to terms with the fact that he's gay, but he doesn't quite know how to tell his parents. However, he does have a "boyfriend" though Pablo is definitely not out. He's essentially afraid to admit to himself that he likes guys. He has a public girlfriend and comes to Dade only when he wishes. Dade puts up with it for awhile, but he eventually starts to see what his life could be...especially when he meets Alex Kincaid.

Alex surrounds himself with people that are stuck in their lives, playing music and doing drugs, but he's ultimately a good guy. I really liked the relationship between Dade and Alex a lot. They found things in each other that the both needed. As for Pablo, he's obviously a character you want to smack across the face for treating Dade so horribly, but it's hard not to feel bad for him. He's afraid of who he is and that's never something you wish for a person. The rest of the characters are eclectic and well-rounded, and I appreciated that the story didn't just revolve around a romance.

The Vast Fields of Ordinary is about a period of time in one's life where things change and evolve, making you into the person who can finally move forward. I wasn't always happy with how things happened, but in the end, I knew it was the way it should be.

13 comments:

Liviania said...

I really enjoyed this one back when I read it. The ending is tough but works with the book.

Candace said...

This sounds like one I might really like. The characters sound very realistic and normal. I also seek out LGBT lit and this definitely sounds like one I would pick up.

Eileen said...

I've never tried a LGBT book, but I may have to try and break into the genre with this book, because the way you described the characters and the romance sounds amazing.

Fantastic review! I'm glad that you found this one to be enjoyable, and that the romance wasn't the main focus.

kimbacaffeinate said...

This sounds like a great coming of age story, and finding ones self. Lovely review, and one I will keep an eye out for.

Aylee said...

It's good the characters were all dynamic and three-dimensional - I imagine it really would be so easy to dislike a character like Pablo, so it's good that the author didn't make the characterization so black and white. Definitely going to add this one to my tbr now! Thanks for this review, Lauren!

Andrea @The Bookish Babes said...

This sounds like a story I would enjoy. Thank you for being in it to my attention!

Erika Sorocco said...

This sounds really enticing. I've never read an LGBT book before.

xx

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Sounds like an interesting read!

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Surprisingly I have never read LGBT book before. I don't avoid them simply I never get to read any. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one and it sounds like a really interesting read. Great review :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

My country voted for marriage equality just recently and I've been giving books like this one to all my students who can read in English. I'll definitely be reading it!

Alise (Readers In Wonderland) said...

I haven't read a lot of LGBT books but they are always an interesting read. Seems like the characters are easy to connect with and sympathize with.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Definitely sounds like a book that makes a point. Even if things don't always turn out as you want, at least it is realistic.

Michelle said...

I haven't heard of this one, but I think I may want to read it now! I like reading male m/c's and I don't think I've ever read one about a guy coming out. Cool review!!

Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Book Blog