Monday, January 6, 2014

The Fountain of the Earth by H.L. Le Roy


The Fountain of the Earth by H.L. Le Roy

Review by Lauren

copy from author, but all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Terra Vonn is fighting to survive in a destroyed world,
surrounded by unspeakable horror . . .
and things are about to get much worse.

After witnessing the horrific murder of her mother, fifteen-year-old Terra Vonn has a singular focus—exacting revenge on the killers. But before she can complete her plan, savagery intervenes, and she is cast alone into a brutal post-apocalyptic world. As she trails the murderers south—through a land filled with cannibalistic criminals, slave traders, and lunatics—the hunter becomes the hunted. Terra quickly learns that she is not as tough or as brave as she thought she was. Worse, she may be the only one who stands between what little remains of civilization and destruction.

Review: The Fountain of the Earth isn't the type of book that I normally choose to read. While I read and loved The Hunger Games, I haven't jumped into all the other dystopia novels where people have to fight for their lives in a barren land. However, when I was offered the chance to read this book, I found the summary interesting enough to give it a shot. I found that while there were brief slower moments, The Fountain of the Earth was a quick story of survival, helmed by one courageous young girl.

Terra Vonn can definitely give Katniss Everdeen a run for her money! At a young age and early into the book, Terra is faced with horrific violence and the notion that if the wrong man bids to marry her, she could enter what will essentially be a slave arrangement. Terra has her dad's old gun, though, and she uses this to fight back against the men in her clan, keeping herself free for the time being. When she is forced to go on the run, she must use her dad's map and her own hunting skills to keep away from danger long enough to make it to safety.

Safety is all relative of course. Le Roy repeatedly shows in the novel that places that are meant to be safe are not and that people must come together to make sure their lives are protected. Throughout the book, a group of savage men known as the Ghoraz, are ravaging clans and Terra is set on finding the ones who have led her on her own quest. She cannot forgive; she only seeks for their destruction, and for some, she wants them to die by her own hand.

There is more to Terra than her anger though. She is willing to help those in need, and she will even put herself at risk to make sure that justice is served for those that deserve it. While on her travels, there are some slower moments because Terra begins her journey alone. However, there are enough moments where Terra comes across other people that it never becomes tedious. I felt that The Fountain of the Earth gave enough detail of the land, without becoming overly descriptive and losing the thread of the story.

As for the romance, I think it was done fairly well. There were a few moments I thought Terra should forget about the boy(s) she liked, because it wasn't as important, but the romance never took over the story. The actual romantic story line was more of a budding relationship throughout this first novel, which I think worked.

Overall, I did enjoy this one and I'm curious to see where the story leads Terra next!

23 comments:

Erika Sorocco said...

This sounds interesting. I'm not sure if it's something that I would pick up to read; but the premise definitely intrigues me.

xx

Cascia Talbert said...

This sounds like a creepy book! Not something I would read. Have a great Monday!

Liviania said...

I'm just not a dystopia fan.

Lady Lilith said...

Looks like a great book. Thank you for sharing your honest opinions about the book.

Brandi Kosiner said...

The romance and kick buttness sounds well done

Sunny Duvall said...

How have I not even heard of this? Anger. I can definitely relate to that as well as wanting justice. I think connection to a character is key so this excites me. And romance is always a plus as well. Thanks for showing this!

Eileen said...

This book sounds like such a high-stakes novel, especially with the references you made to THG, which is one of my favorite dystopian books. Terra always having to fight for her life is so appealing, but I'm glad that her character was more than just a badass fighter who could fend for herself. I love books that give characters more than a surface character. Fantastic review, Lauren! <33

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I think it sounds interesting, I'm adding this to my Goodreads.

Michelle @ In Libris Veritas said...

I've never heard of this one but it sounds like it's worth a try!

Montana @ The Book Belles said...

This sounds pretty interesting! I don't read too many dystopians, but both Terra and the plot itself sound great. Awesome review :)

Synchronized Reading said...

This sounds like a pretty interesting book. I've never heard of it before, but I sometimes like books where the romance isn't a huge part of the story. Great review :)

Janina @ Synchronized Reading

Alexia561 said...

Enjoyed your review! I'm a little burned out on dystopian stories, but this one sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Jaime said...

Ooohhh.. I need a new dystopian book. I haven't read one in awhile. Love the genre!

A Voracious Reader said...

This sounds right up my alley. I need to add this to my Goodreads shelf. :)

Alise (Readers In Wonderland) said...

Haven't heard of this one but I think it's great that you enjoyed it even if it was a little out of you reading norm. The romance sounds pretty laid back in the fact it doesn't overpower the plot.

Andrea @The Bookish Babes said...

Sounds like an exciting read. I'm glad the romance didn't take over the story and you enjoyed, Lauren.
Nice review!

Rachel said...

It's always a nice surprise to pick up a book you wouldn't normally read and enjoy it. Great review, Lauren! :)

Christy @ Love of Books said...

Ahhh, now this sounds interesting. I've been more selective about the dystopians I read, but this seems like a good one!

Tracy Terry said...

Hmm, not a novel that initially grabs me but still I never say never ...... or at least hardly ever.

Lauren Elizabeth said...

Terra sounds awesome! Anyone that can give Katniss a run for her money is someone I need to meet. I'm curious about this story and glad to have read your review. Thanks for putting it on my radar! :-)

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

This does sound good, and I love a strong heroine. I might be filled up on dystopian already (so many, many, many books on my shelves) but this would be a book I'd buy if I stumble across it (which is my favorite way to buy books, because then I can tell the Hubs that it was fate and not a cold, calculated book buying binge). :)

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

Ooh this sounds good!! I'll have to pick it up sometime soon, also can I just say I LOVE characters that fight with a bow?? Idk why, but it just screams bad ass! (:

Candace said...

I'm burnt out on dystopia and trying not to add new books/series to my pile since I have so many series started already, but this sounds pretty intriguing!