Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Wobbit by The Harvard Lampoon


The Wobbit, a Parody by The Harvard Lampoon

Review by Lauren

copy for review, but all opinions are my own

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Official Summary: When Aaron Sorkinshield and his band of Little People embark on a totally feasible quest to reclaim the hoard of Academy Awards stolen from them by the lonely Puff the Magic Dragon, senile wizard Dumbledalf suggests an unlikely and completely unqualified accomplice: Billy Bagboy, an unassuming wobbit dwelling in terrorist-riddled Wobbottabad. Along the way, the company faces Internet trolls, moblins, one really big spider that must be at least an inch and a half wide, and worse. But as they journey from the wonders of Livinwell to the terrors of Jerkwood and beyond, Billy will find that there is more to him than anyone-Tolkien included-ever dreamed. Propelled to his destiny by a series of courageous adventures and indented paragraphs, Billy will set out on the greatest YOLO of all time ...one that leads deep into the dark caverns hiding a mysterious man named Goldstein, who's just trying to have a nice seder.

Review: I read The Hunger Pains, a parody from The Harvard Lampoon about two years ago and found it really amusing. I noted in my review that it's one of those books you would probably only enjoy if you had already read The Hunger Games, and were also okay with making fun of the things you like. That was a combination that worked for me, so I figured I would give the latest parody, The Wobbit a chance. I read the actual Hobbit when I was younger, so most of what I could remember came from the first Hobbit film recently released.

While The Wobbit certainly had it's amusing moments, I didn't find it nearly as funny as The Hunger Pains. The book isn't very long, but for some reason, it just dragged. This may just be me, and others might find it goes quick. Regardless, I did finish the book and I thought I'd share a few thoughts!

Things I Liked: Gandalf was a mix of himself and Dumbledore from the Harry Potter books. If you know HP and LOTR, this makes sense since the two wizards do have some physical similarities. Therefore, the character became Dumbledalf and he was quite amusing, though very dimwitted. I liked the various Harry Potter references throughout, like Dumbledalf calling Billy "Hairy" and believing him to be a horcrux at some point.

The Internet Trolls were a clever idea, I thought! Instead of the actual trolls in the Hobbit, this version had internet "trolls" that worked their mischief online.

Things I Did Not Like: Three of the Little People were based on the Kardashian sisters. It just felt like a bad joke, since people have been making fun of these girls for years. It became annoying after awhile.

The book referenced the Lampoon quite a bit throughout the book, which was also bothersome. Maybe once or twice would have been fine, but it just felt like overkill and unneeded self-promotion.

Overall, this one wasn't the right fit for me. While I highly enjoyed The Hunger Pains, the Wobbit fell more toward annoying than awesome.

16 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Aw, sorry this didn't meet your expectations.

Eileen said...

I never saw your review for the Hunger Pains, but I may check that one out after seeing how you thought it was more amusing than this one. I agree, certain jokes can get really boring after a certain amount of time and the Kardashian family's been the butt of that joke for a while now. I'm glad you liked Dumbledalf's crossover character, though. Fantastic review! <33

A Voracious Reader said...

I like parodies and don't read nearly enough of them. I'll have to check out both mentioned. :)

kimbacaffeinate said...

Bummer that you didn't enjoy this as much and the whole Kardashian sisters made me cringe.

Erika Sorocco said...

I'm personally not a fan of these parodies - they just don't appeal to me.

xx

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I've never actually read a parody but it makes me laugh to think about them. The Kardashian thing wouldn't work for me either. That's just weird. lol

Brandi Kosiner said...

I tried the one about twilight and it just wasn't my thing. Glad you found some things to enjoy even if wasn't the best fit for you

Rachel said...

I have no desire to read The Hobbit let alone a parody of it, but I can see how it would be fun in another book. I think any mention of The Kardashians gives me the hives as they're plastered all over the media and I have absolutely no idea why. Sorry this wasn't as fun as you hoped for, Lauren. Great honest review! :)

Liviania said...

I know Bored of the Rings has been a thing for ages - it's interesting that they did a modern version for The Hobbit.

Cascia Talbert said...

That is so funny! I had no idea that there are books that are parodies of other books. Great review!

Lauren Elizabeth said...

Sorry this one wasn't as fun as The Hunger Pains. I still need to read that one! The Kardashian jokes sound like low hanging fruit, and self promotion in a parody seems a bit much. :-) Great honest review!

Alexia561 said...

While I don't mind retellings of classics, parodies just aren't for me. Sorry you didn't like this one as well, but at least you found a few amusing bits!

Montana @ The Book Belles said...

I haven't read The Hobbit, so I don't know if I'd find this book funny. It's too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped to :( I think I'll definitely give The Hunger Pains a try, though. It sounds hilarious!

Medeia Sharif said...

Thanks for the review. I'd rather watch parodies than read them. Still, these literary parodies can be worthwhile.

Alise (Readers In Wonderland) said...

I read their Twilight parody and found it somewhat humorous so I think I will check this one out. Books that can make me laugh are my weakness!

Richa Parande said...

A parody of The Hobbit? This sounds awesome! I'll have to check this out. I haven't read any parodies yet, so maybe this could be my first.
I'm sorry you didn't like this one as much as you thought you would.. but hopefully your next read will be better :)