Friday, May 30, 2014

Birthday Book Review: celebraTORI by Tori Spelling


celebraTORI: Unleashing Your Inner Party Planner to Entertain Friends and Family by Tori Spelling

Review by Lauren

Source: Library, but all opinions are my own

Official Summary: In this delightfully entertaining, must-have party companion, Tori shares all the tips and tricks she’s learned from her most successful soirees (and a few train wrecks). It’s like having your own personal party planner for a fraction of the cost!

celebraTORI is not just instructional, it’s inspirational. Hosting an event is not about ticking to-dos off a list; it’s about turning an organic idea into a fun day you and your guests won’t forget—so much so that you just can’t wait to do it again . . . with a different theme, of course. Tori covers all the basics, from discovering new reasons to celebrate and choosing a concept, to decorating, creating flower arrangements, making refreshments, and building the corner-stone of any great party: the dessert table! The best part is that all of her suggestions, including her mouthwatering recipes, are 100 percent do-it-yourself.

Filled with lots and lots of great advice, handy blueprints, and hilarious anecdotes, celebraTORI will be the most important guest at your next party. It’s the perfect foundation for taking life’s special occasions up a notch . . . or five.


Review: Happy Birthday to me!!! In honor of that, I knew I had to share my review of this party planning book as I love to host parties. Plus, Tori Spelling is all about themes or "concepts" as she says, and so am I! I really appreciated the various tips and ideas that Tori shares in her book, as well as some of the "train wrecks" she has experienced planning parties all these years.

One of the things that Tori does not like are internet invitations, and I do agree that they aren't as fun or personable. However, with my friends, I tend to just invite them through an event on Facebook. It's the best way to get a hold of everyone, keep track of replies, and I can even add a fun cover that suits the theme. I do agree with Tori in terms of physical invites being best though, and if I could do that, I would. I liked her more extravagant invitation ideas where you offer a little gift that suits the theme of the party. This would be really cute for a kid's party if you weren't inviting too many people.

I really liked the various How-To posts on how to make decorations and food items for your parties. I'm all about finding new ideas, and decorations are certainly something I could do better with for future events.


The above photo shows you a How-To on making Lucite Mum Balls. These are too cute and they don't look extremely difficult to make! Tori is all about flowers for any party, and she has a section in the book that talks all about it. I think flowers can be nice at times, but they are definitely not something I plan into my budget for everything.

But speaking of budget! I love that Tori keeps a nice focus on budget and offers ways to get good items for cheap. It's easy to think of a celebrity party planner only getting high-end, expensive items, but Tori is different. She wants the best party for less, and I can really appreciate that. I've planned a lot of themed parties over the years and it can add up, especially if you have a large guest list.

DIY Spa Brunch
 The end of the book includes full details on how to do your own themed parties. She includes ideas from Game Night to a DIY Spa Brunch. These are definitely two ideas I would love to put together, and there are other party examples as well to check out, so be sure to browse the book when you can!

Overall, I really liked this book and I read through the entire thing in only a couple days. I would love to get a copy for myself sometime soon to have on hand!

12 comments:

The Bookish Manicurist said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LAUREN! I hope you're having a wonderful day.

What an excellent book to review you your b'day, it sounds full of great party ideas :)

Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

Tracy Terry said...

Many happy returns.

Sounds like a fun read, perfect for all those who enjoy a good party.

Kindlemom said...

Happy Birthday to you!

Melliane said...

Oh Happy Birthday!!!! Have a wonderful time! It's an interesting book I confess, never tried something like that but it must help.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Happy Happy Birthday! I like the mum ball. It looks pretty and easy. Hope you have a terrific party.

Liviania said...

Happy birthday! And Facebook events are the best way to invite people. (Just remember to make them private!)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Happy Birthday!

I do like thumbing through these books. :)

Andrea Thompson said...

Neat! I used to watch Tori's first reality show, and love her B&B and her parties. Thanks for sharing!

kimbacaffeinate said...

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Lauren, Happy Birthday to you!!!!!

Lauren D. said...

Happy birthday!! Hope your day is wonderful! :-)

JaimeLovesStuff said...

Ohhhh missed it!!!! Happy belated birthday!!!

I adore Tori's books and really need this one. She's so creative. I just adore her anyways, lol. Drama and all.

Rachel said...

I would think that Tori wouldn't be conscious of budget but it's nice that she incorporated that in her party planning book for us regular folk. Parties can be expensive and you always end up spending more than what you planned on. Not that I ever make a budget, but I should, lol! Thanks for the review, Lauren! :)