Saturday, May 10, 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


We Were Liars by  E. Lockhart

Release Date: Tuesday, May 13

Review by Lauren

copy for review; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.


Review: To be honest, this is the first book I've read by E. Lockhart, but I definitely don't think it will be my last. We Were Liars is a fascinating portrait of the mind. I don't want to go into much detail because so much of this book leads to the wonderful, mind blowing conclusion. I can say that it's a quick, yet interesting read full of characters that feel entirely realistic.

Our narrator is Cadence and this book follows the summers leading up to her accident. She spends these moments with the Liars- her cousins Johnny and Mirren, and then there is Gat, Cadence's lovely Gat who she wants more than anything to be exclusive with. Only seeing each other every summer makes things difficult to evolve past sweet, summer flings. Despite that, these four kids grow up into intelligent teenagers who can easily see the wonderful Sinclair family falling apart.

Cadence is a bit selfish, but she's growing. She loves Gat, who opens her eyes to the world past her white, rich family. It was fascinating to view the Liars through her eyes. Johnny who just wants to laugh and live life, Mirren who wants to be loved, and Gat...who sees the world differently than they do, but who still wants to belong.

We Were Liars is a great book, and it's something that I would happily re-read. I can't go into much detail, for fear of ruining the best parts, but I can say that it's worth reading...and then discussing.

16 comments:

Erika Sorocco said...

I think I would love this!!

xx

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I have seen so many amazing reviews for this book and it for sure will be on my currently-reading list soon! I haven't read anything by this author but I cannot wait. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Great review :)

Cleo Bannister said...

Thanks for the review Lauren, this one is definitely one for my TBR! Sounds great and your review has got me wanting to know more...

http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

Krysten Gautreaux said...

This sounds REALLY good, adding it to my Goodreads!

Suko said...

This book sounds very enticing!

kimbacaffeinate said...

I am excited you enjoyed this and would re-read it. I have this in my tbr pile! Awesome review Lauren

lilysbookblog.com said...

I'm so happy to hear you liked this one! I read a copy of it too a few weeks back and everyone is saying such good things about this one! :)

Zoe N. said...

I absolutely loved this one as well! It's definitely hard to review because you want to - naturally - give as much information as you can, but you don't want to tell too much. It's a delicate balance; but I feel you did a commendable job with your review! So glad this worked for you so much Lauren! <3

~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

Kindlemom said...

I have been so curious about this one and I think your review has convinced me to give it a try.

The Bookish Manicurist said...

Yesssss! So glad you liked this and I am sure you will love the rest of her books, try The Ruby Oliver series and Frankie Landau-Banks ;)

Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

Lisa @ Lost in Literature said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I've had my eye on it for quite some time. :)

Lily B said...

have not read anything by E. Lockhart myself, does look great! Glad you liked it.

Chyna Ngie said...

everyone seems to be loving this book a lot and here I am wasting my time. :)) if I ever read Lockhart's books this would be the first too. Great review!

www.lite-rate-ture.com

Chyna Ngie said...

everyone seems to be loving this book a lot and here I am wasting my time. :)) if I ever read Lockhart's books this would be the first too. Great review!

www.lite-rate-ture.com

Aylee said...

Oh, awesome, SO glad you loved this one, Lauren! I am so very intrigued by this dramatic conclusion you mention and it sounds like E. Lockhart is pretty talented if she can pull it off so well. I haven't read any of Lockhart's books either, but I'm thinking this will be my first one because it sounds GREAT! Great thoughts!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I am most curious about this book now as I am reading some great reviews on it and I need to know more!