Monday, June 2, 2014

Hung Up by Kristen Tracy


Hung Up by Kristen Tracy

Review by Lauren

copy for review; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Can you fall in love with a voice? This witty romance, told entirely through phone calls, chronicles the tale of a wrong number gone right.

It all started with a wrong number. The voicemails Lucy left on James’s phone were meant for someone else—someone who used to have James’s digits. But then when James finally answers and the two start to talk, a unique bond forms between the two teens.

Gradually Lucy and James begin to understand each other on a deeper level than anyone else in their lives. But when James wants to meet in person, Lucy is strangely resistant. And when her secret is revealed, he’ll understand why…


Review: When I first started this book, I figured it would be a quick and fun read. It is told entirely through voicemails, texts, and phone calls. I was right about one thing...it was definitely quick. But was it fun? Yes and no.

First off, I should probably state that I really liked this book. It was much more intriguing than I originally thought it would be. Hung Up has a title and a cover that might deter certain readers, but I do hope more people give it a chance. There is plenty of lighthearted moments and getting to know Lucy and James was a lot of fun.

However, there are aspects of their lives that they are hesitant to share; Lucy more so than James. Talking on the phone to someone you've never met in person is kind of like talking to someone online. You get to know each other, and often on a level that is difficult to come to when looking someone in the eye.

I appreciated that Tracy turned the story from what could have been a simple, fluffy romance to one that felt realistic. Lucy and James were similar, yet different. They both had a past they wanted to share with someone who might truly understand, yet that past involved other people who they were not keen to talk about. As I said above, James was more open than Lucy, but the reasons become clear by the end of the book. Lucy wants to be more open, but she's dealing with a lot of anxiety and even though she's talking through a phone, she has come to like James and doesn't want to scare him off.

As for that romance aspect of the book, I think it was done really well. There was no insta-love in this book and while the two begin to care for and like each other, it's never unrealistic. There are no declarations of love. It was just two teens feeling a connection and wanting that to last through face-to-face encounters.

Finally, while this book is told entirely through conversations, you do get to know the cast of characters that surround these two. Lucy's parents and her best friend CeCe. James' brother Bo and his grandma. These secondary characters come alive, even though they never speak directly to the reader.

Tracy has created a wonderful story of connection that definitely surprised me in its depth. I would certainly recommend this to others.

12 comments:

Melliane said...

I would have expected a fun one as well mainly with such a cover but it's nice to know that it's finally much more too!

Medeia Sharif said...

The cover is cute and I like the sound of this.

Keertana said...

I haven't heard a lot about this one, but it definitely seems to be adorable and I'm always game for a light romantic read. Wonderful review!

Kindlemom said...

This can be so hard and hit and miss. I have read a couple of them and have yet to really love one.

A Voracious Reader said...

I might give this one a try. I like fun! What? Who doesn't? lol

Liviania said...

Sounds more interesting than when I first heard of it.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I like books that are told this way, but it is a fine line to pull them off, it sounds like this one worked. Have you read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell?

Candace said...

I have a copy of this one but hadn't heard much about it. I think I'm looking forward to it a bit more now.

Andrea Thompson said...

I tend to like stories told in this format, more than a lot of readers. I'm glad you liked Hung Up overall!

Montana @ The Book Belles said...

Hung Up looks like such a good book. I figured it would just be a fun read, but it's interesting to know that it's more that just that. I'm glad that there's no instalove either. Great review :)

Karen said...

This book sounds wonderful!

The cover does make it sound more fluffy but I'm glad to hear it's both fun but with substance.

Karen @ For What It's Worth

Alexia561 said...

Haven't heard of this one, but really like the sound of it! I've come to really like stories told through texts, so this one sounds right up my alley. Thanks for a great review!