Friday, June 13, 2014

Killer Instinct by S.E. Green + Make it a Gift


Killer Instinct by S.E. Green

Review by Lauren

Source: copy for review, but all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Lane is a typical teenager. Loving family. Good grades. After-school job at the local animal hospital. Martial arts enthusiast. But her secret obsession is studying serial killers. She understands them, knows what makes them tick.

Why?

Because she might be one herself.

Lane channels her dark impulses by hunting criminals and delivering justice when the law fails. The vigilantism stops shy of murder, but with each visceral rush, the line of self-control blurs. And when a young preschool teacher goes missing—and returns in pieces—Lane gets a little too excited about tracking down “the Decapitator,” the vicious serial murderer who has come to her hometown.

As she gets dangerously caught up in a web of lies about her own past, Lane realizes she is no longer invisible or safe. Especially after the Decapitator contacts her directly. Now she needs to use her unique talents to find the true killer’s identity before she—or someone she loves—becomes the next victim…


Review:  Happy Friday the 13th! I thought I would share my thoughts for Killer Instinct in honor of today. Basically, I really liked this book. It was a quick read and it had me wondering until the end.

The summary might say Lane is a typical teenager, but she's definitely not. She's not very in tune with her emotions. Yes, there are people she cares about and moments where she is mad or upset, but for the most part, she isn't bothered by the social interactions other teens go through from friends to dating. In that regard, she made me think of Dr. Brennan from the TV show Bones.


Lane is fully aware of the way she views the world around her, though, so she tries to start acting more like a "normal" teenager. She even agrees to go on a date with a boy.

The biggest difference between Lane and well...most people...is her understanding of serial killers. It's not just that she's curious, as I find serial killers to be fascinating in some regards, but that she has similar urges. She's not a bad person, but she has the "need" to hurt people and release pent up aggression. She decides to target bad people who get away with hurting others in order to make herself feel better about her urges, though she never does anything to kill them. It's a warning. A violent, often bloody warning.

I thought the overall story of the Decapitator was interesting. Since Lane finds serial killers so fascinating she keeps the contact between them a secret. This is obviously a dumb move, but on some level, I could see into Lane's logic. I didn't agree, but I think Green did a good job explaining the way Lane works to make you understand why she keeps things a secret and tries to investigate on her own, even though both her mom and step-dad work for the FBI.

I'm sure there are moments in the book that will have readers yelling at Lane, but I was able to keep going. I wanted to know what would happen to her and the Decapitator, as well as who the serial killer truly was in the first place! I have to admit the end was a bit strange. It was surprising, but it was also a little weird...I wouldn't say it was completely off the wall though. I liked the book overall and I would recommend it to those that like a darker read. Just be warned that this is a book for older teens because of sexual and violent references.

Make it a Gift

If you want to buy a copy of this book for someone and wish to truly "make it a gift", you should consider adding the first season of Criminal Minds. Lane's mom is head of the Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU) within the FBI in the book and Criminal Minds is about those in the BAU, who profile killers and try to catch them.


You can get the first season on Amazon right now for $17.99!!

17 comments:

Cleo Bannister said...

What an interesting sounding book, I love Criminal Minds too. A great link to the book if Lane's mother works in the BAU. The urges Lane sound like they have shades of 'Dexter' in them too. I'm fascinated although a little wary as I tend to get very annoyed when characters do stupid things.
A great review of a book I shall look out for.
http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

Erika Sorocco said...

Ohmigosh I want this book - it sounds incredible!!

xx

Liviania said...

Haha, I did a Friday-the-13th worthy book too.

Kindlemom said...

Yay! I love the shout out to Bones, I love that show!!

Great review and happy 13th!!

Andrea Thompson said...

This definitely seems like an intriguing story. Great gift idea! And thanks for sharing!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

This sounds like a great read. I don't watch many criminal shows, but I know I would like the book. Happy weekend, Lauren.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Heh! I think you found a great book for my mom. She loves those kind of shows. So recommending this to her.

Melliane said...

Oh it's intriguing and I really love the idea for the main character, a little different from others.

Melliane said...

Oh it's intriguing and I really love the idea for the main character, a little different from others.

Zoe N. said...

This sounds like a great physiological study in terms of characterization! Definitely excited to see how it's done for myself. Thanks for sharing and putting this under my radar Lauren - it sounds fabulous! :D

~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

Christy @ Love of Books said...

I love serial killers! Don't look at me like that. lol. Seriously though, this sounds a lot like I Hunt Killers. Hmm...

Ginny Gallagher said...

This sounds like a really interesting book. I researched "unconventional" serial killers for a class I took in college. Let's just say I learned a lot. The killers that I researched were older. One couple had been married for 55 years and owned a farm they would kill visitors to the farm and the woman would use their clothes to sew quilts. Sorry for rambling on and getting off topic. I will definitely check this book out. Thanks for sharing.

Alexia561 said...

I don't usually read books like this, but it sounds fascinating! And I love the comparison to Dr. Brennan. Too funny!

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

I have no idea how I haven't read this book! It's been on my radar for a long time, because I love books about potential serial killers (like Dan Well's I Am Not A Serial Killer books, and Barry Lyga's Jasper Dent series). Must get this now!

kimbacaffeinate said...

This sounds good and I love your idea of pairing this with a dvd as a gift..clever my friend!

Medeia Sharif said...

This book looks really good. Great Friday the 13th post.

Krysten Quiles said...

This sounds really good, adding it to my Goodreads!