Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Mental Health/Graphic Review: Super Ego


Super Ego by Caio Oliveira 

Review by Lauren

Source: Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Who do superheroes go to when they need to unload?

Dr. Ego, psychotherapist for the superhero community!

Welcome to the world of the deeply disturbed, where with great power comes great anxiety, angst, and expectations!


Review: Dr. Goodman is the psychotherapist to the superheroes, except he goes as Dr. Ego to them. He deals with a variety of superheroes, from young Lester who has more power than anyone but is crippled by anxiety. Then there is an Iron Man type of superhero named Javier Hernandez who is incredibly smart but he lets alcohol ruin any chance of him being truly heroic. These are just two of the superheroes introduced in this volume of Super Ego, but I hope that gives you an idea of what Dr. Ego has to deal with.

I thought the premise of this graphic novel was a lot of fun since I find superheroes fascinating. What if superheroes did exist? The ones with actual powers, and the ones who create their own? I think this was a wonderful start to a new series. The volume isn't very long, but it includes enough action and superhero antics to keep one entertained. I'm definitely curious about the ending now...not a total cliffhanger, but an end that keeps you wondering and wanting to read more. Those are always the best, right?


This novel fits for the Graphic Novel Challenge, as well as Mental Health Awareness Month this June. While the clients Dr. Ego works with have various "issues" to deal with, I find myself thinking particularly about Lester for this month's theme because he deals with a lot of anxiety, etc.


14 comments:

Melliane said...

Oh I just love love the idea, it's so fun! I'm quite curious to follow him.

Erika Sorocco said...

I was a Psych student, so I'm always into mental health stuff. This looks awesome!

xx

Kindlemom said...

LOL I think the premises of this one, fun and very different from your average "superhero" story.

Liviania said...

Sounds like a neat premise.

Andrea Thompson said...

Very cool! I'm glad you enjoy the book, and love your awareness of such an important cause.

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I haven't heard of this one either but stories about superheros are always interesting. This one sounds really good and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review, Lauren :)

Giselle said...

Ha this is a cute idea and an intriguing beginning to a series. I really want to try a graphic novel someday! :)

Zoe N. said...

This sounds absolutely adorable! :D Thanks for sharing Lauren, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

Melanie said...

Hah! What a fun idea :D

Lovely review, Lauren! <33

Medeia Sharif said...

Looks like a cool book. It would be interesting to see what superheroes go through in a therapist's office.

Brandi Kosiner said...

The premise is great, but I don't do many comics

Lauren D. said...

What a cool idea for a graphic novel premise! I really want to give this a try! Lovely review :-)

Angela's Anxious Life said...

Graphic Novels that focus on Mental Illness are great. I think these will help younger kids deal with what is happening to them.

Crystal said...

WHERE CAN I GET ONE? :D